Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

idb help crashes

pfpenteado
Beginner

I am trying the new idb GUI, and found that every time I try to start the help, it crashes, with the message

JVM terminated. Exit code=127
/usr/bin/java
-jar /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/069/idb/gui/intel64/startup.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86_64
-launcher /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/069/idb/gui/intel64/dbggui
-name Dbggui
-showsplash 600
-exitdata 20000f
-gui
-vm /usr/bin/java
-vmargs
-jar /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/069/idb/gui/intel64/startup.jar

It looks similar to issues I had previously with the Eclipse included in IDL 7.0, which was incompatible with the XulRunner library that provides the Gecko engine in my system (Fedora 9 x86_64). That is using idb for intel64. If I try to use it with ia32, idb does not even load, with a mismatch in ELF class (even if I put in my path a 32 bit JRE).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Since you say you are on Fedora 9, this issue is also mentioned in the Release Notes.

3.5.9 Online Help on Fedora* 9 Systems

On Fedora* 9 systems, online help is not available from:

The GUI menu Help > Help Contents
The context-sensitive Help button in debugger dialogs

If this issue affects you, please start the Debugger help from: /Compiler/11.0/xxx/idb/gui/common/webhelp/index.htm

Please get into the habit of reading the Release Notes - they may save you a lot of anguish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - pfpenteado

I am trying the new idb GUI, and found that every time I try to start the help, it crashes, with the message

JVM terminated. Exit code=127

Did you upgrade your ifort license in order to have run time permission for idb, as mentioned in other posts?

It is not at all clear which versions of jre will work with this idb, nor do the installation instructions resolve this for me. I have submitted installation error reports for 2 different systems, one documented as supported, the other not.

0 Kudos
pfpenteado
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

Did you upgrade your ifort license in order to have run time permission for idb, as mentioned in other posts?

It is not at all clear which versions of jre will work with this idb, nor do the installation instructions resolve this for me. I have submitted installation error reports for 2 different systems, one documented as supported, the other not.

The debugger seems to work fine for me, after I updated the license file (in 64 bits). But when I try to open the help, it crashes.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - pfpenteado

The debugger seems to work fine for me, after I updated the license file (in 64 bits). But when I try to open the help, it crashes.

When you try 'java -version' you must see a version 1.5 or greater, and the HotSpot server must report 64-bit support. If I can get that far on this installation, I will see how I do with the help menu.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - tim18

When you try 'java -version' you must see a version 1.5 or greater, and the HotSpot server must report 64-bit support. If I can get that far on this installation, I will see how I do with the help menu.

I got my troublesome copies of idb running by removing all stale java components, and installing latest 1.6 versions,

On the help contents menu, I get consistently "unable to open web browser," even on this installation, where I have Firefox, Opera, Epiphany, and Konqueror.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - tim18

On the help contents menu, I get consistently "unable to open web browser," even on this installation, where I have Firefox, Opera, Epiphany, and Konqueror.

Please read the compiler release notes where this is discussed.

0 Kudos
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht
Dear all,
following up on Steve's note let me just add the specifics as outlined in the release notes: On Ubuntu 8.04 and some other Linux distributions the IDB Online help may not open with the error message "Unable to open web browser". This is a problem with the Mozilla environment settings on these systems.
The workaround to fix this isto do the following (see section 3.5.8 in the compiler release notes):
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/Mozilla
or
ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /Mozilla
and add /Mozilla to $PATH

Thanks, Rob

0 Kudos
pfpenteado
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

I got my troublesome copies of idb running by removing all stale java components, and installing latest 1.6 versions,

Just to clarify, that is not the problem I have. When I try to open the help, it does not complain, it just crashes, and opens a dialog box with the message I pasted above.

Is the contents of the online help available somewhere else, where it can be opened independently of the idb interface?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - pfpenteado

Just to clarify, that is not the problem I have. When I try to open the help, it does not complain, it just crashes, and opens a dialog box with the message I pasted above.

Is the contents of the online help available somewhere else, where it can be opened independently of the idb interface?

You may have to open a problem report on premier.intel.com. I've done so, but I don't see exactly the same problem as you, although I see the same problem on both supported and unsupported installations.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Since you say you are on Fedora 9, this issue is also mentioned in the Release Notes.

If this issue affects you, please start the Debugger help from: /Compiler/11.0/xxx/idb/gui/common/webhelp/index.htm

Please get into the habit of reading the Release Notes - they may save you a lot of anguish.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I didn't see it mentioned in the release notes, but there is a zip file left after installation in the idb/gui/common/ directory, and we are expected to make our own webhelp directory and unzip it there. Apparently, most linux distros, including some on the "fully supported" list, are in the same category. It seems to work with several browsers, (not Konqueror). The release notes lack credibility, after giving wrong advice about java versions.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Tim, if you believe the release notes are wrong, please provide details to me (I write the release notes). The Java version text is as was supplied by the idb team and I recently heard from them that the information is correct.

I'm unaware of anything relating to having to unpack zip files.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

For example, on Red Hat EL5.2 x86_64, or SLES10 SP2 x86_64:
[tim@linux-blfd-tim 074]$ ls -l idb/gui/common
total 1736
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 21 11:40 com.intel.debugger.help_1.0.0
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1766121 Nov 2 06:35 idb_webhelp.zip
These are reported as supported installations of ifort, yet the idb help files aren't unpacked from that big zip file. The only difference from unsupported installations is the existence of the com.intel.debugger.help_1.0.0 directory.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

On RH EL4.3 x86_64, it is sufficient to set up /usr/bin/mozilla as a symlink to firefox, to enable the idb help button to work.

0 Kudos
pfpenteado
Beginner

Thanks. I had looked in the Release Notes, but I guess it was with not enough attention.

0 Kudos