Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ifort executes excruciatingly slow

Redies__Matthias
Beginner
I just installed the intel compiler and it is very very slow. If I just execute ifort to get the "you need to provide a file" message, the it takes 30 seconds:

> $ time ifort                                                                                          
ifort: command line error: no files specified; for help type "ifort -help"
ifort  0.00s user 0.01s system 0% cpu 30.046 total

Is this some license checking feature or why is it so slow. I am using the student version.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

I cannot comfirm this:

$ time ifort2019
ifort: command line error: no files specified; for help type "ifort -help"

real    0m0.026s
user    0m0.008s
sys    0m0.012s

Maybe the computer you ran this command was overloaded with other jobs?

0 Kudos
Redies__Matthias
Beginner

No it's my desktop and I am doing nothing else. Just to compare:

> $ time gfortran                                                                                                                                                                                     [±develop ●]
gfortran: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
gfortran  0.00s user 0.00s system 85% cpu 0.002 total

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

This may help: https://www.tecmint.com/strace-commands-for-troubleshooting-and-debugging-linux/ . There is a similar utility for tracing library calls, ltrace .

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My guess is that it is related to the license check, but 30 seconds is way beyond what I'd expect to see here. Is your license local (installed with serial number) or are you using a networked license server?

0 Kudos
Redies__Matthias
Beginner

I used a license number to install it. Is there a way to improve this?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have a faint memory of similar problems caused by a no-longer-used license file or environment variable pointing to a network server that no longer is available. Please do this: After establishing the ifort command environment

setenv INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=1

Then do a test compile. This will display information about its license searches. You can paste the results here, but please edit out references to your serial number.

0 Kudos