Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

internal compiler error with oneAPI ifort 2021.4, submodule parameter

Andreas_Z_
New Contributor I

Hi Intel compiler developers,

after using the new oneAPI Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.4.0, one of my programs has triggerd an internal compiler error (ICE). 

The following simple program reproduces the issue when compiled using the following command line: 
ifort /c /Od /debug:full /debug-parameters:all .\test_ICE_submodule_param.f90

module mod1
interface
    module subroutine bar()
    end subroutine bar
end interface 
end module mod1
!-------------------------------------------

submodule (mod1) submod
contains
    module subroutine bar()
    implicit none
    !parameter in a submodule causes ICE with ifort 2021.4.0 when compiler flags
    ! /debug-parameters:all or /debug-parameters:used are set aside /debug:full
    integer,parameter :: k = 3  
    end subroutine bar
end submodule submod 
!-------------------------------------------

program test_ICE
use mod1
call bar()
end program test_ICE

!command line flags leading to internal compiler error:
! ifort /c /Od /debug:full /debug-parameters:all .\test_ICE_submodule_param.f90

! --> fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).

This ICE seems to be caused by having a parameter declared in a *submodule* procedure while using the /debug:full /debug-parameters:all compiler flags. It does not occur when /debug-parameters:all is absent (nor with ifort version 2021.3). 
So, a workaround is to not use /debug-parameters:all or /debug-parameters:used.

9 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

@Andreas_Z_ , thank you for such a nice job of triaging the problem! I filed a bug report for you, CMPLRIL0-34296. I'll let you know when it is fixed.

0 Kudos
Willi1
Beginner

Thank you @Andreas_Z_  for descirbing the problem and @Barbara_P_Intel thank you for opening the ticket.

We still have the same issue with the version 2022.1.0.

Is it possible to give us a short feedback regarding the current status of ticket CMPLRIL0-34296 ?

And an other short question related to that topic: What additional benefit does /debug-parameters:all provides me, when I already set  /debug:full? From the offical documentation of the debug-parameters flag and the debug flag I was not able to answer that question.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

@Willi1, it looks like CMPLRIL0-34296 will be fixed in the next release which is planned for Fall 2022.

0 Kudos
Willi1
Beginner

@Barbara_P_Intel: There is a new release out "Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit (version 2023.1.0)".
Is the CMPLRIL0-34296 Bug fixed in this Release?
Thank you in andvance for your response

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

ifort /c /Od /debug:full /debug-parameters:all .\test_ICE_submodule_param.f90
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler Classic for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.9.0 Build 20230302_000000
Copyright (C) 1985-2023 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Latest version: No errors or warnings, created the .obj file

Regards, Andrew

Barbara_P_Intel
0 Kudos
Willi1
Beginner

Thank you @andrew_4619 for the test.
I'm a little bit wondering: Is the Version 2021.9.0 newer than the Version 2022.1.0 , which I tested last year and which had the Bug in it?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

You like many have suffered from the Intel Confusing Version Syndrome. Ifort 2021.9 compiler is part of the OneApi 2023.1 product

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The oneAPI 2023.1 Toolkits including ifort 2021.9.0 were released in early April 2023. Fortran compilers are part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

Ron Green wrote this blog about Intel compiler versioning last fall. Maybe that will help. 

0 Kudos