Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

missing functions from iso_fortran_env

Alin_M_Elena
Beginner

Hi,

I was trying to use the new functions defined in iso_fortran_env, compiler_options and compiler_version.

Unfortunately turns out that intel fortran compilers does not support them. Do I miss anything?

[20:00:42 drFaustroll@circassia:~/playground/intel-bugs]: ifort -o options_versions.X options_versions.F90 -stand f08    
options_versions.F90(2): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist.   [COMPILER_VERSION]
 use iso_fortran_env, only : compiler_version, compiler_options
------------------------------^
options_versions.F90(2): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist.   [COMPILER_OPTIONS]
------------------------------------------------^
options_versions.F90(5): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [COMPILER_VERSION]
 write(*,*)"Compiler: ", compiler_version()
--------------------------^
options_versions.F90(6): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [COMPILER_OPTIONS]
 write(*,*)"Options: ", compiler_options()
-------------------------^
compilation aborted for options_versions.F90 (code 1)
[20:01:09 drFaustroll@circassia:~/playground/intel-bugs]: ifort --version  
ifort (IFORT) 17.0.0 20160517
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

the code is trivial

program version_options                    
      implicit none                            

write(*,*)"Compiler: ", compiler_version()
      write(*,*)"Options: ", compiler_options()                                                                                    
   end program version_options

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, these are still not supported in the current upcoming 17.0 release but Development is actively working on adding these. I don't know whether they will be targeted to an update to 17.0 or a later major version. Any update will be posted in the earlier thread, here.

0 Kudos
Alin_M_Elena
Beginner

thank you totally missed the earlier report.

Alin

0 Kudos
Norman_K_
New Contributor I

Please can I add that these two features cannot be very difficult for Intel to support, but they are potentially very useful for users. I send out compiled code and source code to colleagues in my research group, and I get comments back on the (very rare) occasions when they think there may be a bug. Being able to see output from these two functions in the program output files makes support so much easier.

please, pretty please...

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Norman K. wrote:

Please can I add that these two features cannot be very difficult for Intel to support, but they are potentially very useful for users. I send out compiled code and source code to colleagues in my research group, and I get comments back on the (very rare) occasions when they think there may be a bug. Being able to see output from these two functions in the program output files makes support so much easier.

please, pretty please...

See this: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-180-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2018#f08_f15

New and Changed Compiler Features

The Intel® Fortran Compiler now supports all features from the Fortran 2008 standard. Additional Fortran 2008 features added in the Intel® Fortran 18.0 release are noted below. Please refer to the Fortran 2008 Standard (PDF) and the proposed draft Fortran 2015 Standard (PDF) if necessary.

Features from Fortran 2008

• COMPILER_OPTIONS and COMPILER_VERSION in ISO_FORTRAN_ENV
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Actually, these are not straightforward to support due to the way the Intel compiler has handled intrinsic modules to date. A new mechanism needed to be added to allow a module function to be used in a constant expression. As FortranFan notes, this was done for the upcoming 18.0 release - required for full F2008 support.

0 Kudos