Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28597 Discussions

problem:For77 program +include'*.inc'

faith165
Beginner
I have a problem.
A fortran77 project (a main program+32 subroutines),many subs contain include'XFOIL.INC'

And the folders havethe file:XFOIL.INC

bUT when I compile them,many errors.
I believe the program is right.
I want to know how to use the *.inc file

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
If what you are compiling is Mark Drela's airfoil calculation software, I can vouch for its capabilities, having used it for years (not recently).

You do not "use" .inc files in any manner except that intended by the author of the program. You never compile them, because they do not contain code that constitutes a compilable unit. Let the compiler read the INCLUDE directives from the .f (or .for or .f90) source files and do its job.

In short, use the makefile (or project specification file) to build the application, and leave the .INC files alone.

The only time when you change the contents of .INC files may be when you want to change the size/type of problems that the package addresses, and the software documentation should tell you how to make these changes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
If what you are compiling is Mark Drela's airfoil calculation software, I can vouch for its capabilities, having used it for years (not recently).

You do not "use" .inc files in any manner except that intended by the author of the program. You never compile them, because they do not contain code that constitutes a compilable unit. Let the compiler read the INCLUDE directives from the .f (or .for or .f90) source files and do its job.

In short, use the makefile (or project specification file) to build the application, and leave the .INC files alone.

The only time when you change the contents of .INC files may be when you want to change the size/type of problems that the package addresses, and the software documentation should tell you how to make these changes.
0 Kudos
faith165
Beginner
Thank youvery much!
As you say,I used the Mark Drela's airfoil calculation software [XFOIL 6.96,which is complied by IVF9.0]
Now I'd like to run it in IVF11.1. The diag below is all the files.

I will try your method to compile it!
Thank you!
0 Kudos