Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ubuntu 9.04 64 bit + AMD ?

ignacio82
Beginner
Hi,

Is it possible tu run intel fortran compiler with ubuntu 9.04 64bit + AMD athalon X2? Or i need an intel computer?

Thanks a lot

Ignacio
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, the Intel Fortran 11.1 Release officially supports Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit) and both Intel and AMD processor based systems.

There is additional information available in the Release Notes and Users guides (here).
0 Kudos
ignacio82
Beginner

Yes, the Intel Fortran 11.1 Release officially supports Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit) and both Intel and AMD processor based systems.

There is additional information available in the Release Notes and Users guides (here).

I just installed the intel fortran compiler in my ubuntu.

I'm trying to learn how to program in fortran (i only know matlab).

Any recomendation of a book?

I learn that if i run "./idb" I call the debuger. But what aplication should I call to start writing the code?

Thanks a lot for the help

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
Glad to read that Ignacio. Welcome to the world of Fortran!

The command to invoke the Intel compiler is "ifort" once you have a Fortran source file created. Since you're just getting started, have a look at the Getting Started Guide also available from the location I mentioned earlier. It offers needed advice on using the compiler setup script (ifortvars.sh/ifortvars.csh) and invoking the compiler.

Regarding books, here's two:

Fortran 95/2003 Explained
Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen
Click here for more.

Fortran 95 Handbook
Jeanne C. Adams, Walter S. Brainerd, Jeanne T. Martin, Brian T. Smith and Jerrold L. Wagener
Click here for more.

I'm expect others have suggestions too.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
ignacio82
Beginner
Glad to read that Ignacio. Welcome to the world of Fortran!

The command to invoke the Intel compiler is "ifort" once you have a Fortran source file created. Since you're just getting started, have a look at the Getting Started Guide also available from the location I mentioned earlier. It offers needed advice on using the compiler setup script (ifortvars.sh/ifortvars.csh) and invoking the compiler.

Regarding books, here's two:

Fortran 95/2003 Explained
Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen
Click here for more.

Fortran 95 Handbook
Jeanne C. Adams, Walter S. Brainerd, Jeanne T. Martin, Brian T. Smith and Jerrold L. Wagener
Click here for more.

I'm expect others have suggestions too.

Good luck!

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

Is there some GUI to write the Fortran source file? or in fortran you just use any "notepad" ?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The discussion of a GUI for Linux has been taken up in some earlier threads. You can search the Forum for "Photran". The earlier thread (here) offers a discussion about various methods (vim, emacs, etc.) .
0 Kudos
mrentropy
Beginner
Ignacio,

Intel's Fortran compiler runs great with Ubuntu 9.04 and 64-bit AMD. It's one of my setups. Remember the nomenclature is confusing: x86_64 = AMD64 = em64t = Intel 64, which is _NOT_ IA 64, whereas AMD/Intel 32 is called IA 32 by intel, aka i386 (instruction set).

However, if you are a novice programmer / linux administrator, I wouldn't suggest Photran. Best just to start off with a simple text editor. On Ubuntu, you can try gedit. Eventually you'll want something more powerful, such as vi/vim or emacs/xemacs.

The problem with Photran on Ubuntu at the moment is that Photran requires Eclipse version 3.4 or greater, whereas the most up-to-date distribution of Eclipse you get with Ubuntu's package manager is Eclipse 3.2.

So unless you want to go through the trouble of doing a manual install, then I'd suggest waiting for Ubuntu to catch up to Eclipse 3.4 or 3.5 before trying Photran. In the meantime you can start writing simple programs and work your way up to the point where an IDE is actually useful, instead of being an additional headache and impediment to learning the language.

BTW as far as books go I recommend "Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen Chapman. It has pretty nice coverage of the new Fortran 2003 features, which is great, since Intel's 11.x Fortran compiler supports many of them (and more to come!).

Good luck,
Peter

P.S. I vaguely recall that there are some very minor instruction set differences btw AMD64 and Intel64, but this turns out to be completely irrelevant for reasons I don't pretend to understand....
0 Kudos
ignacio82
Beginner
Thanks everyone for the help!!!
0 Kudos
jmnave
Beginner

I am trying to install v11.1 (the non-commercial version) using the

l_cprof_p_11.1.069_ia64.tgz

tar archive on a fresh install of the 64bit version of Ubuntu 9.0.4.

AFAIK my system is compatible and all the required libraries are installed (I followed the installation guide closely).

basic system details are :

uname -a at the terminal returns : x86_64 GNU/Linux

Some related info from Checkbox :

<

This report was created using checkbox-gtk 0.7.1 on 2010-03-08T22:44:46, on Ubuntu 9.04 (amd64).

info.product AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53

system.kernel.machine : x86_64

>

When I run the installer it returns this error message :

<

The contents of this installation package do not match the architecture of this
system. Please check to be sure you are using the correct package and running it
on the correct system type. Confirm the correct architecture of your system
with your system administrator. Consult the release notes for details.

Note the following installation package naming conventions:

* l_cproc - Linux* C/C++ compilers
* l_cprof - Linux* Fortran compilers

* l_cproc_p_11.1.069.tgz and l_cprof_p_11.1.069.tgz
- both IA-32 and Intel 64 compilers
- for use on both IA-32 and Intel 64 and compatible systems
* l_cproc_p_11.1.069_ia32.tgz and l_cprof_p_11.1.069_ia32.tgz
- IA-32 compiler only
- for use both IA-32 and Intel 64 and compatible systems
* l_cproc_p_11.1.069_ia64.tgz and l_cprof_p_11.1.069_ia64.tgz
- IA-64 compiler only
- for use ONLY on IA-64 systems
* l_cproc_p_11.1.069_intel64.tgz and l_cprof_p_11.1.069_intel64.tgz
- Intel64 compiler only
- for use ONLY on Intel 64 and compatible systems

>

Any advice on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you are running Ubuntu, you aren't ia64 (Itanium); in fact, you got the message you are running x86_64. The intel64 compiler corresponds to x86_64 (AMD or Xeon 64-bit). This was covered (perhaps mentioning out of date terminogy) earlier in the thread. Your license will permit you to download and install any of those versions which work on your OS.
0 Kudos
jmnave
Beginner

After I posted I read the earlier posts again and then realised I had the wrong package. The correct one is of course l_cprof_p_11.1.069_intel64.tgz

I downloaded and installed this one with no problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mrtomdar
Beginner

aewsome work man!!!

may I ask you how much stable is this setting (without eyefinity)? How hard was to make it work? Which videocards did you use? I've tried getting 3 screens to work on 9.04 but failed cause xinerama just hanged my X session.

0 Kudos
John4
Valued Contributor I

Videocards aside, support for Ubuntu 9.04 already ended (according to this). Ubuntu 10.04 is generally the best option (since is a Long-Term-Support release), unless you need especific drivers, in which case it's always better to go with the version that has the latest linux kernel (e.g., Ubuntu 11.10).

0 Kudos