Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28440 Discussions

why is the memory consumed with the program running

aadam23
Beginner

Dear there,

I use the IVF 2013 in Windows 7 to make programs. In the phase of running this program, there was a weird issue that the memory of PC was consumed so much as the program runs futher. I designed that program with batch processing algorithm, that is, process the destination subroutine within each loop. I think for each loop the resource of system is independent. Moreover, I checked in the program that there is no memory dependency relation between variables. Also, I checked the threads in the 'Task manager' of windows and found that the memory consumption of thread 'svchost.exe' increased with the program running.

So could you please give some suggestions on what caused this issue by your great fruitful of experiences on the IVF?

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aadam23
Beginner

nobody know about that question? Could you please give me a hand, thanks!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I read the question but it lacked sufficient information to make it worth speculating. Your reference to svchost is, I think, a "red herring" in that it is unrelated to what your program is doing. svchost.exe is a Windows process that handles background services. I can't think of how it would be affected by your Fortran program.

Intel Inspector XE has a "memory growth analysis" mode that you may want to try. If you don't have the Professional Edition or higher of Intel Parallel Studio XE, you can get a free 30-day trial license for it. (You indicate that you have a five-year-old version of the product - I am not sure if that feature was in Inspector XE back then.)

0 Kudos
aadam23
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

I read the question but it lacked sufficient information to make it worth speculating. Your reference to svchost is, I think, a "red herring" in that it is unrelated to what your program is doing. svchost.exe is a Windows process that handles background services. I can't think of how it would be affected by your Fortran program.

Intel Inspector XE has a "memory growth analysis" mode that you may want to try. If you don't have the Professional Edition or higher of Intel Parallel Studio XE, you can get a free 30-day trial license for it. (You indicate that you have a five-year-old version of the product - I am not sure if that feature was in Inspector XE back then.)

Thanks Steve for your kind comments. Yep, the information is too little 'cause the memory is the firstly obvious phenomenon when I run the program. That means the thread 'svhost.exe' will occupy so much memory gradually while the program running by the batch processing.

Yes, you are right 'cause my institution just bought that version of IVF and I must compile the program with the network connected each time. So I should try the free version to have an analysis of the memory growth. Thanks so much. Have a nice day:-)

Regards,

A.A.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The quickest way to run out of memory while running a Fortran application is to open a browser.  As far as problems running a batch application which processes many cases, and runs perhaps an entire day before running out of memory, I doubt it's practical to learn much by Inspector. 

When running in Windows, I run a memory recovery application such as System Mechanic every few hours.  It seems unpredictable when it will be needed.  WSL (linux inside Windows 10) seems the worst OS for this problem. WSL itself hangs and requires a full reboot of Windows. Browsers also vary.

0 Kudos
aadam23
Beginner

Tim P. wrote:

The quickest way to run out of memory while running a Fortran application is to open a browser.  As far as problems running a batch application which processes many cases, and runs perhaps an entire day before running out of memory, I doubt it's practical to learn much by Inspector. 

When running in Windows, I run a memory recovery application such as System Mechanic every few hours.  It seems unpredictable when it will be needed.  WSL (linux inside Windows 10) seems the worst OS for this problem. WSL itself hangs and requires a full reboot of Windows. Browsers also vary.

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for your kind reply. Yes, what you analysed is reasonable. I will test that again to check if the browser caused that problem. I use the win7 platform and Visual Studio 2013 IDE. And to use Inspector XE is a nice advice and I will install a free version to have a try. BTW, I just checked that the version of IVF bought by our institution is actually the composer edition. So there is no inspector to be used.

0 Kudos