Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Frame Analyzer Crash

Adam_Miles
Beginner

Hi,

I've got a simple one DX11 Dispatch frame capture of something I've been working on which crashes the Frame Analyzer when I try to analyse it, I've attached it to this post.

If you can't reproduce the crash with the attached capture I can provide more details.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks for letting me know about this. I'll take a look at the file later today.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

I'm seeing the same issue, but the xml output file that's created doesn't provide a lot of info. So could you please right-click the Intel GPA Monitor icon in the notification tray and copy the "About..." info here?

A couple of other questions as well:
- I think you used the 2932 driver, but there's a newer driver available (3071), which supposedly fixes a number of issues. Can you try this newer driver as well?
- What version of DX11 is this? I'm assuming that it's not DX11.1?

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Adam_Miles
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Windows 8, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
Memory: 16334MB
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1504 (08/03/2012)
Driver 0:
Device: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Date: 3-18-2013
Version: 12.100.17.0
VendorId: 1002
ProductId: 6819
Stepping: 0
No support for GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA\2013 R1\
GPA version: 13.1.194259
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current GPA 2013 R1 (13.1.194259)

Obviously as you can see I'm using a discrete AMD GPU. As far as I was aware using non Intel GPUs is supported, but without the instrumentation that would otherwise be available. Although I do have an Ivy Bridge / HD4000 GPU, I wasn't using during capture or playback, for this reason I suppose updating the driver is not applicable.

This is plain DX11.0 yes. I'm using VS2012 and Windows Kit 8 as opposed to the DX SDK.

If you need any more information just let me know,

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

As I mentioned to you in a private message, we are looking at this issue.

At first glance, it appears that you may be using a feature of the AMD graphics that we don't handle well (in other words, it's a bug). I'll let you know when I find out more.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

It looks like the problem is related to the creation of the file, as the frame capture file is invalid.

Therefore, is there a way that you could get me a copy of the program that you used to create the file? The executable alone should be sufficient, and you can send it to me in a private message if you don't want to post it on these forums.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Adam_Miles
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Yup, I should be able to zip up the executable/assets and even the source code if you want it. I'll get this done within the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Adam_Miles
Beginner

Apologies I've not yet sent this through, it's still on my TODO list.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Please let me know if there's more I can do to help, but at this time I'm going to close this ticket for now until you have a chance to send me the additional info we need to chase this down.

Also, it might be worthwhile to test with Intel GPA 2013 R2 -- this issue may have been resolved as part of fixing another defect.

Regards,

Neal

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos