Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 3.0: "Enable Instrumentation" option not available on XP for Intel GPA Monitor

zxcvasdf
Beginner
There's No Enable Instrumentation When I Right Click The Icon On The Taskbar.
What Should I Do?

Environment:
(Intel GPA System Inspector)
Windows XP Professional, 32-bit DEP disabled
Num Processors: 2
Memory: 2939MB
Driver 0:
Device: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Provider: Intel Corporation
Date: 2-23-2010
Version: 6.14.10.5237
VendorId: 8086
ProductId: 2a42 (Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500/4500HD)
Stepping: 7
Supports GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\GPA v3.0\\
GPA version: 3.0.108906

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

This is a known limitation of the Intel GPA product -- the "enable instrumentation" feature of the Intel GPA Monitor is not operational under Microsoft Windows XP. Instead, you will need to use the "run target application" feature of Intel GPA Monitor to manually start your game or graphics application.

Regards,

Neal

ps-> The Intel GPA help file that does not mention this limitation -- this will be fixed in a later version of the document.
0 Kudos
zxcvasdf
Beginner
Hi Sir Neal,

You Mean There's a Update For This Thing?
Oh um anyone.. Do You Guys Know Ran Online?
0 Kudos
zxcvasdf
Beginner
Sir,

if i install Windows 7.
Can i play Direct x 9.0c Games Smoothly?
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

In my reply to your original question about support in Windows XP for "enable instrumentation", I replied that this is a known limitation for users of the product on Windows XP. I also indicated that the documentation would be fixed to describe this limitation in a later release of the product. Therefore, In response to your follow-up question, "You Mean There's a Update For This Thing?", version 3.0 of Intel GPA (which you have) is the latest released version. When new versions of the product become available, you will receive an email from Intel; these forums and the Intel GPA Home Page will also provide information on the availability of a new version.

As to your other question, "Do You Guys Know Ran Online?", I'll let others respond directly to your question.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

In response to your recent post, "If I install Windows 7, can I play DirectX 9.0c Games Smoothly?", I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

The reason I'm asking is that Intel GPA doesn't have anything to do with actually playing games. Instead, it allows game developers to analyze their games prior to their release, so that they can optimize these games for various PC systems. In other words, if the frame rate of the game is only 15 frames per second prior to using Intel GPA, the tools in the product can help the game developer understand the details of performance bottlenecks, and hopefully improve that frame rate.

Does this help? Please let me know if I've answered your question, or if I have misunderstood what you are trying to ask.

Thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks for the clarification on your question.

If you have the ability to modify the source code for Ran Online, then Intel GPA can help with making your game run better on Microsoft Windows 7*.

But my expectation is that you don't have access to the game source code, in which case you'll have to try some other things to help speed it up, and I'll talk about some of these in the rest of this reply.

I'll assume that you've already tried some things, but I'll list everything I can think of (and others are welcome to add their recommendations):
  • verify that you have the latest graphics drivers installed, as I know that the Intel graphics drivers for Windows 7* for your graphics chipset were updated only a couple of weeks ago (in early March of this year)
  • be sure you have the latest BIOS from your system vendor, as I have seen situations where a new BIOS version is required for Windows 7
  • check your BIOS settings, as there is the possibility that some of these may have an impact upon the performance of your game -- I would strongly recommend that you look at the amount of graphics memory available to the GPU, as XP and Windows 7 may have different defaults
  • check whether the game allows you to change which version of Microsoft DirectX the game uses; if so, see whether running in DX9, DX10, or DX10.1 mode makes a difference
  • related to the previous question, check whether the default game settings are different on XP vs. Windows 7 (as Windows 7 may enable some features that aren't used on XP, such as fog, thereby impacting your game playing experience)
  • use Task Manager to check what other processes are running at the same time as you notice the slowdown; your Windows 7 configuration may be different, especially for anti-virus software
Last but not least, you might want to see if others have some suggestions for you:
  • try posting your question in the Intel User Forum for Visual Computing; this forum is watched by many more gamers than on this forum, and they may have some other recommendations than the ones I've suggested above
  • search the Ran Online user forums to check for similar issues, as there may be some suggestions related to your specific hardware configuration
Hope this helps!

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos