Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 4.0: Cannot See Nested Tasks in Platform Analyzer

itsik_hefez
Beginner
Hi.
I'm running VS2010 so I'm using GPA 4.0 as an alternative to Task Analyzer(TAL in GPA 3.0).
I'm trying to model the system flow of my multi-threaded application.
I'm using mainly named tasks and markers, although I'm having a problem when some tasks are nested in other larger ones.
For example, in this sequence:
BeginTask("LargeTask")
BeginTask("SubTask A");
EndTask("SubTask A");
BeginTask("SubTask B");
EndTask("SubTask B");
EndTask("LargeTask");
All I see is LargeTask in Platform Analyzer.
What is the best way to show the system flow as intended?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I'm not sure whether your question is how to use ITT in GPA 4.0 for instrumenting your code, or how to get GPA to show the different levels in Platform Analyzer.

So a couple of hints that may be helpful:
  • GPA has some examples showing nested ITT calls when instrumenting your code. I would recommend that you look at these if your question is about how to use ITT (it's possible your calls are not "nested" as ITT/GPA expects)
  • You should also look at domains and the GPA profiles, as by default we limit the amount of data GPA collects. Please list the profile options you've specified in "general" and "domains"
  • Please provide some of the ITT code that you've used for your instrumentation, and I can compare this with some "best practices" that we've developed.
Hopefully this helped... After you've looked at these, I'll await follow-up questions from you.
Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Also, in Platform Analyzer under the "View" menu there's an item labelled "show subtasks"; ensure this is checked.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
itsik_hefez
Beginner
Checking "Show Subtasks" did the trick.
Besides that, my settings are:
Tracing
Enabled-True
DirectX-Standard
Buffer Size-8Mb
Capture App Startup-True
Domains
Test.Log.Main (the domain i defined) is Checked
I would still like to see some best practices to see if I'm using the API correctly.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I'm glad that the "show subtasks" worked for you!

I'll add an item to my "to do list" to put together a KB (Knowledge Base) article on Platform Analyzer tips and tricks.

Thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos