Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 4.1: __gpa_gfx_begin_region missing

cneilens
Beginner
I was using__gpa_gfx_begin_region / __gpa_gfx_end_regionas a way to mark drawcalls in the frame analyser (similar to using D3DPerF_BeginEvent / D3DPerf_EndEvent in pix), but these no longer seem to show up using GPA 4.1. I've made sure I'm using the latest sdk, I'm using directx 9 and visual studio 2008. Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do to get them back?
Thanks,
Colin Neilens
Digital Extremes
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

As of Intel GPA Version 4, this API function is no longer available.

However, with Version 4 you can use similar ITT functions to see what's happening within your graphics application with the Intel GPA Platform Analyzer utility. Please see the Intel GPA SDK Reference manual for more information.

Regards,

Neal

ps-> by the way, which version of Intel GPA were you using with this API function?

0 Kudos
cneilens
Beginner
I was using this no problem with GPA 4.0. I used these as I wanted to track draw calls within the Frame Analyzer, the ITT functions only seemed to work in the Platform Analyzer. Do the ITT functions now work in the Frame Analyzer?
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I thought this feature had already been removed from 4.0; I'll check with the Dev Team on this and get back to you.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I checked with the Dev Team and this function is not in 4.1, and they said it was removed with the 4.0 release (therefore, I'm not sure how you were able to use it in 4.0).

In any case, let's see if there's another way to do what you want in the 4.1 release. Can you give me more details about what you would like to see in Intel GPA Frame Analyzer (I know you've given some info here, but I want to be sure I don't make any assumptions). Specifically, what workflow or tasks are you trying to accomplish using these functions?

thanks!

Neal
0 Kudos
cneilens
Beginner
Hi Neal,
Weird, I only started using the GPA at version 4!
What I'm trying to do is mark regions of drawcall events so I can get a hierarchal view of events in the Frame Analyzer complete with names. Basically so I can find draw calls under different render passes quickly, mark each drawprim with the meshname etc. At the moment I see hiearchical regions but nothings named.
Thanks again,
Colin
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

I'm trying to see if we have any options for you here... will hopefully get back to you in another day or so.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello again,

I had one of the developers mention that Intel GPA Frame Analyzer also makes use of the data from D3DPERF_BeginEvent() and D3DPERF_SetMarker(). Use of these calls may enable you to see similar information to what you had with the other function call.

Does this help?

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
cneilens
Beginner
Hi Neal,
Awesome that all works, thanks! One thing I had to change for a GPA capture compared to a PIX capture was remove the calls to D3DPERF_GetStatus(), we use that to determine whether to allow D3DPERF_BeginEvent and as pix wasn't running that returns false. Any chance you guys can add support to that so we can tell whether the app is being monitored? Currently I'm having to create a dummy domain and check its flags to determine if the monitors running.
Thanks again,
Colin
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello Colin,

Great suggestion on including D3DPERF_GetStatus()! I'll forward this to the development team as a possible future enhancement.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos