Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

How to force OpenGL rendering to HD Graphics on NUC8i7HVK

George_V_2
Innovator

Hi, I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, but since my end-goal is to use the GPA tools, I thought it might.

We are tuning the OpenGL performance of our application on the NUC8i7HVK which has 2 GPU's: a HD Graphics 630 and an AMD Radeon RX Vega M.

Our application defaults to using the AMD GPU all the time and I cannot seem to find a setting anywhere to force it to use the HD Graphics GPU. The Radeon settings gives all kinds of information but no option to select an active GPU (similar to nVidia's Optimus settings), and using the Windows options to select my application and "bind" it to the the power-saving GPU has no effect either.

Is there a way to force rendering to use the HD Graphics GPU? And if so, how?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee
Hi Grecco, There are two options depending on what your end-goal is. 1) If you're just looking to force rendering to Intel in order to profile Intel HW, you can hook up Intel® GPA to the application and take a frame capture and force the rendering within our tool - once a frame is captured force Intel® GPA to use Intel HW in the Open Frame Capture window (window when Frame Analyzer opens up) by selecting the target GPU from the top-left of the window. 2) If you want to force rendering to Intel HW all the time, you can open "Device Manager" and disable the discrete graphics card. This should force the system to use the integrated graphics card instead of the discrete card. You can then re-enable the card at any time in order to use the discrete card for rendering instead of the integrated.
0 Kudos
George_V_2
Innovator

Thank you for your reply. This will solve my immediate problems.

I'm still looking for some way to select the device programmatically since we want to allow the user to select which device to use for rendering + compute (OpenCL) in our application. Is there a way to do this? As Intel GPA is able to switch devices I assume there is some other way to achieve this other than disabling the AMD GPU in the device manager.

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Hey Grecco,

Let me talk to my team to see how we do it and if you would also be able to do the same.

0 Kudos
George_V_2
Innovator

Giselle G. (Intel) wrote:

2) If you want to force rendering to Intel HW all the time, you can open "Device Manager" and disable the discrete graphics card. This should force the system to use the integrated graphics card instead of the discrete card. You can then re-enable the card at any time in order to use the discrete card for rendering instead of the integrated.

I have tried this method and it indeed "hides" the discrete card, but for some reason the OpenGL ICD is not found/loaded, causing a fallback to the Microsoft OpenGL 1.1 driver which, obviously, doesn't work with our application.

I have the 25.20.100.6577 BETA display driver installed. Any help would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Hi George,

It seems like this might be a known issue. In order to force the integrated graphics card you would have to connect your display directly to that integrated graphics card, otherwise it will default to the Microsoft Basic Renderer. I, unfortunately, don't have any sort of work around as I only work for the Intel® GPA tool. 

0 Kudos