Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
488 Discussions

Intel® GPA 2015 R4 Ubuntu 14.04 Connection Failed Bug

MA__GA
Beginner

Hi

I have installed the latest Intel® GPA 2015 R4 on my Ubuntu 14.04. I have also installed the Latest graphics drivers for Intel. I am  using 4th Generation processor (i5-4570). When I run the run_app -s command in the terminal, the system analyzer dialog box opens up and when I type my PCs IP address or just localhost, I encounter the following error

Connection to Graphics Monitor has failed. Make sure graphics monitor is running on the target machine ( I have attached the screenshot as well)

Please help me fix this issue.

Update : I tried debugging and found in the GPA logs the following

ERROR: ld.so: object '/opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/x86/libGPA.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

There is NO x64 libraries in System analyzer/lib. But the installer I downloaded told it for x64.

Kindly check and fix this issue.

My trial version of intel GPA  will expire soon. Please help me.

Thanks

Gayathri

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Gayathri, 

Sorry that you are running into these issues.  I took a look at the issue you attached an have a couple steps for you to try. 

Make sure you are running the app you want to analyze with run_app so that System Analyzer will be able to connect.

1. Run graphic application for analysis on remote or local machine: /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/bin/run_app <path_to_target_app>
  2. Run SA and connect to the machine where app was launched (to localhost in case of local profiling)

Let me know if this works and you are able to connect to your app. 

Also, you can get the GPA standalone for free from https://software.intel.com/gpa. It's completely free, fully featured, no trial.  So there shouldn't be a trial for GPA. :)

Best,

Seth 

0 Kudos
MA__GA
Beginner

Hi,

I have tried the steps that you have mentioned but system analyzer IS NOT working.

I am attaching the logs that were generated during the run. It shows that x64 libraries are not present for System analyzer

ERROR: ld.so: object '/opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/x86/libGPA.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

My Application ran and completed as well. But system analyzer is not able to connect to my local machine and collect any metrics.

Can you help in fixing this ?

Thanks

gayathri

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Gayathri,

I see three possible causes:

1. GPA libraries are not loaded into launched process.
  2. Launched application doesn’t create windowed glX context for OpenGL rendering or creates it in some non-standard way which is unhandled in GPA.
  3. Socket is not opened by GPA due to firewall or busy GPA port (27072) or other reason.

To understand where the problem is, try these steps:

1. Run the following commands in terminal to identify which GPA libraries are loaded into target process:
    1. Run application under GPA: /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/bin/run_app <target_app>
    2. Find its PID: ps –A | grep <target_app>
    3. Print loaded GPA libraries: cat /proc/<PID>/maps | grep SystemAnalyzer
  2. What call do you use for glX context creation? GPA supports the following APIs: glXCreateContext(), glXCreateContextAttribsARB(), glXCreateContextWithConfigSGIX(), glXCreateNewContext(). GPA doesn’t support off-screen contexts including PBuffers.
  3. Ensure that GPA port (27072) is opened by executing the following command in terminal:
    1. netstat –all –program | grep <PID>, where <PID> is the same as in 1b.

Also, on the ELF Class issue, GPA doesn’t know in advance what architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) the target app will use.  So we try to load both GPA libraries. In case of 64-bit app we see that 32-bit GPA library is not loaded and vise versa. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
MA__GA
Beginner

Hi Seth,

I did the following

1.  /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/bin/run_app  /opt/AMDAPPSDK-2.9-1/samples/opencl/cl/BlackScholes/bin/x86_64/Release/BlackScholes -p 2 -x 8388608 -i 1500 -q -t (My application)

2. ps -A |grep 'BlackScholes'
 5000 pts/11   00:00:01 BlackScholes

3. sudo netstat --all --programs |grep 5000

unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     39666    5000/BlackScholes 

cat /proc/5000/maps | grep 'SystemAnalyzer'
7f2c5e392000-7f2c5e8da000 r-xp 00000000 08:05 2126158                    /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/libGPA.so
7f2c5e8da000-7f2c5eada000 ---p 00548000 08:05 2126158                    /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/libGPA.so
7f2c5eada000-7f2c5eaed000 r--p 00548000 08:05 2126158                    /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/libGPA.so
7f2c5eaed000-7f2c5eb08000 rw-p 0055b000 08:05 2126158                    /opt/intel/SystemAnalyzer/lib/libGPA.so

5. sudo ufw allow 27072
Rules updated
Rules updated (v6)

I am just trying to follow whatever has mentioned in this link :

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/profiling-opencl-applications-with-system-analyzer-and-platform-analyzer

Please let me know where I am going wrong. I an still NOT ABLE to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Gayathri

0 Kudos