Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Intel GPA Shim Loader(shimloader64.dll) calls SetDllDirectory(). That causes "ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND" on some app.

Lee__Changmin
Beginner

Hi. I'd like to use Intel GPA for UnrealEngine4. but I couldnt. Becuase Shim Loader calls SetDllDirectory() that override UE4 engine's setting(SetDllDirectory to set project directory for load dll directory). Could you check this out?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Changmin, 

Sorry that you are running into this issue with the Shim Loader.   Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this one. 

Could you post your about dialog?  Graphics Monitor -> About (please post all the info in the window)

Also, are there any error files or logs you could supply?  Also, what version of the UE4 engine are you using?

Thank you for all the info!

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Lee__Changmin
Beginner

Hi Seth,

UE4 Engine Version is 4.9.1, and Here is Graphics Monitor -> About.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 build 10240, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
Memory: 16327MB
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2504 (05/20/2015)
Video BIOS: Version 84.06.0D.00.1A  (12/23/14)
Driver 0:
     Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
     Provider: NVIDIA
     Date: 11-2-2015
     Version: 10.18.13.5887
     VendorId: 10de
     ProductId: 1401
     Stepping: a1
     No support for GPA Instrumentation
Install directory: C:\Intel\INDE\GPA\2015 R3\
Version: 15.3.262022
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current Graphics Performance Analyzers 2015 R3 (15.3.262022)
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is Disabled

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any app (include ue4) can use SetDllDirectory() to load required modules and SetDllDirectory() changes the standard DLL search path.

(https://msdn.microsoft.com/ko-kr/library/windows/desktop/ms686203(v=vs.85).aspx)

Becasue Those app depends on changed dll search paths, if GPA calls SetDllDirectory(), GPA breaks app's loading dll precedure.

Thanks!

Best,

Changmin

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Changmin, 

Thanks for all the info. 

Are you using "Analyze Application" to launch your application or are you using the auto-detect functionality of monitor?

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Lee__Changmin
Beginner

Hi Seth,

I tested both. both of them cause the problem.

Thanks,

Changmin.

ps. That problem can be avoided by adding our game dll directory to environment PATH variable for my UE4 project.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Alright sounds good.   At least you have a workaround for the time being.  I'll submit a defect regarding this post and keep you up to date on a possible fix.   

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Changmin, 

I have private messaged you with an unreleased build that should work to fix this issue. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Just to close out this thread, the fix will be publically available in the GPA 2015 R4 release.  

0 Kudos