Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Intel GPA close immediately

Luis_C_1
Beginner

Hello!
When I try to open intel GPA the program closes immediately

the program worked properly three days ago but now I can't analize nothing.
the problem isn't video drivers because I reinstalled this three times, neither antivirus( I deleted this) and firewall are deactivated.

the problem is the conection because GPA can't not conect to the server, for example system analizer showme this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img716/7615/qj5i.png
but the other tools show nothing.
I hope to have a solution

thanks for all.

-Luis

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

Sorry you are having this problem.

Can you please tell me what your target and client systems are, and include detailed configuration information by right-clicking on the GPA Monitor in the notification tray and selecting "About...". Also, see whether any of the log files in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\GPA_2013_R3\ contain specific error messages about issues connecting to/from your systems.

Also, have you tried rebooting recently?

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Luis_C_1
Beginner

I can't open the program, is for this that I can't obtain info from notification tray, and I don't have logs about the error.

My OS is Windows 7 professional x64 , I'm using intel GPA 2013R3 (13.3.207307) and yes, I rebooting.

the program open for 5 seconds , this can show me the IP machine but immediately this closes for a unknown reason. 

Thanks for your fast reply

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

A couple of things to try:

1. As I suggested earlier, please check whether the Intel GPA log files contain any information that would indicate why the Intel GPA Monitor is crashing.
  2. Please check whether your system has Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS (this is normally assiated with Win8, but I'm wondering whether your system has this feature enabled, which is a potential issue for Intel GPA).
  3. See whether removing MonitorConfig.xml fromC:\Users\<username>\Documents\GPA_2013_R3\ helps (this file may have become corrupted). A new version of this file will be created when you try running Intel GPA again. If the problem still occurs, please reboot (again), then remove Intel GPA using the "Programs and Features" Control Panel, reboot again, reinstall Intel GPA, then reboot again, then see whether things work ok.
  4. If problem still occur, instead of the "About..." info, since you can't get Intel GPA Monitor to run, open a “cmd” window, then type dxdiag into the command line, then ‘save all information’ and include a copy of that file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Luis_C_1
Beginner

Here are the info from GPA and the infor from dxdiag ( I can obtain this info changing the dll from components64 folder, but the program not work).

I will format my pc because are many accumulated waste in my hard drive.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks for this info. Also, I had asked you to try a few other things in my list -- please let me know what happened with these.

Also, I'm confused by your comment about "changing the dll", since it looks like you were able to get the "About..." info from the Intel GPA Monitor. So does Intel GPA not work for only this specific game, or does any game not work (such as gpasample.exe).

One thing I also noticed is that you installed the Intel GPA product on the F: drive -- would you be able to install this on the C: drive instead? I know this shouldn't be a problem, but I have seen some issues with installing on other than the system drive.

Also, note that the Intel GPA product will not work if you have multiple graphics devices (that is, both internal graphics and a discrete graphics card) -- you'll need to disable one of them.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Luis_C_1
Beginner

Thanks for your help! I formatted my pc and now GPA works fine, but I never discovered the problem.

when I said " I can obtain this info changing the dll from components 64 folder, but the program not work" I mean at the change of the name of the dll files inside this folder , with this, the program ignore the dll, this allow me to open intel GPA without functions (don't works in all applications)

I hope that never happen anymore :)

thanks 

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

I am glad that all is working for you now, but as you said it would have been nice to find out what caused the issue in the first place.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
havokvincent
Beginner

Hi,

I'm getting similar issue where gpa monitor crashes a few seconds after being opened. GPA used to work pretty well on this computer a few weeks ago, and when I tried to use it today, it would immediately crash.

This is GPA_2013_R3, and I have a crash dump in the GPA_2013_R3\Dumps, and looking a bit more closely, it's crashing inside WrapperGUI.dll, trying to access a null rdi pointer. From the look of the code, it's looking for the end of a string. Interestingly, the code just above the crash makes reference to strings "Cannot read " and "..\os_utils.cpp".
I've attached the crash dump. 
Let me know if there is any other info I can provide.

-Vincent 

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the dump file!

Does this problem occur just trying to open Intel GPA Monitor by itself, or when trying to analyze a game/app? If only when trying to analyze an application, does this happen with gpasample.exe as well, or just when analyzing specific apps? Also, do you know whether you have "auto detect" mode enabled?

Also, since it sounds like you can't get "About..." from the GPA Monitor, can you also run dxdiag and copy that info here?

Knowing this info will help us reproduce/isolate/debug the problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wen_G_1
Beginner

Hi, Neal,

I have similar issue: I can launch GPA monitor. It shows in the task bar for a few second. Then it just dispeared. I couldn't use any other application since they all depend on GPA monitor.

Attached is the mini dump file form GPA, which shows some exception code: 0XE0434352. I also attach the info collected from Dxdiag.

In addition, I am using Windows 7's remote desktop to access the computer. Will it make any difference?

Regards,

Wen

0 Kudos
Wen_G_1
Beginner

Hi, Neal,

I have similar issue: I can launch GPA monitor. It shows in the task bar for a few second. Then it just dispeared. I couldn't use any other application since they all depend on GPA monitor.

Attached is the mini dump file form GPA, which shows some exception code: 0XE0434352. I also attach the info collected from Dxdiag.

In addition, I am using Windows 7's remote desktop to access the computer. Will it make any difference?

Regards,

Wen

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Intel GPA does not support a connection via Remote Desktop -- you will need to use a tool such as VNC instead (there are both commercial and freeware versions of VNC available).

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

For those with the problem of the Intel GPA Monitor crashing shortly after starting up, please try this workaround:

• Please modify the following items in the registry (add some letter or random string to make each item non-empty, such as setting the value to "A"):
    LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs

LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs

This should resolve the issue until we are able to update the Intel GPA product in a later release. Please let me know if this does not fix the issue.

Thanks!

Neal

ps-> this workaround does not allow you to use a Remote Desktop connection, as this connection method is still not supported by Intel GPA

0 Kudos
havokvincent
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The proposed fix to the registery did correct the issue, thanks a lot for the quick workaround!

-Vincent

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

Glad to hear this works -- we have a fix for this that we expect to get into the next release.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos