Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
660 Discussions

Host pipe feature on AOC version 17.1

yluo01
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to run the host pipe example provided by Intel design example: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/opencl/host-pipe.html.

However, when compiling the kernel code with command:

$ aoc -board=a10gx_hostch device/loopback_hostpipe.cl -o bin/loopback_hostpipe.aocx

I got warning message:

aoc: Running OpenCL parser....

device/loopback_hostpipe.cl:22:26: warning: unknown OpenCL extension 'cl_intel_fpga_host_pipe' - ignoring

#pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_intel_fpga_host_pipe : enable

I figured out that the current version of the AOC compiler(17.1.0.240) I'm using doesn't support cl_intel_fpga_host_pipe pragma, but I want to stick with 17.1 because my other BSPs were created for AOC 17.1. May I know if there's any way to work around this issue without upgrading my BSP?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

You can install multiple versions of Quartus/AOC at the same time and use each with a compatible BSP. You just need to create appropriate bashrc for each so that you can easily switch between them by "sourcing" the associated bashrc.

By the way, since the reference BSP for v17.1 already has support for host channels, then Quatus 17.1 MUST support host channels. Maybe the name of the extension was something else in that version and has been changed since. I cannot find the documentation for the older versions on Intel's website to check.

0 Kudos
yluo01
Beginner

Thank you for your reply!

My BSP version is v17.1.0. I tried to compile the host pipe kernel with AOC v18.0, BSP v17.1.0 and Quartus 17.1.0.240, but the compiler gave me error message at the very beginning: 

aoc: This release of the Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) requires ACDS Version 18.0.0 (64-bit). However, the following version was found:

Quartus Prime Shell

Version 17.1.0 Build 240 10/25/2017 SJ Pro Edition

The AOC v18.1 Getting Started Guide (page 6) states AOC v18.1 only has backward compatibility with BSP v18.0 and BSP v17.1.1, but not BSP v17.1.0. However, is there any Quartus 17.1.1? From the Quartus Pro download page, it seems that v17.1.0.240 is the only version under 17.1 family.

The AOC v17.1 programming guide did state that cl_intel_fpga_host_pipe is supported, but it's weird that I still got the unknown pragma warning.

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

You should never mix different versions of Quartus and AOC. Are you using the Arria 10 reference board? If that is the case, there is a compatible BSP shipped with every version of Quartus for that board.

There is indeed Quartus v17.1.1 and v17.1.2. However, I am not sure if v17.1.1 is available for download anymore. On the download page for Quartus v17.1.0, there is an "Update" tab. You can find the v17.1.2 update there. There are multiple improvements to the host pipe API mentioned in the changelog for v17.1.1, maybe support for host pipes was not complete/working correctly in v17.1.0.

0 Kudos
yluo01
Beginner

Thank you! I found the newer version of v17.1.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,,

The v17.1.1 update is available under 'Hide Archived Software Updates' in http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/17.1/?edition=pro&platform=windows&download_manager=dlm3

Thanks

0 Kudos
yluo01
Beginner
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel
Hi, Do you see the same error after installing the updates? Thanks
0 Kudos
yluo01
Beginner

Yes, I still see the same error with 17.1.2.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Upon checking, this is fixed in v18.0.

Thanks

0 Kudos