Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
526 Discussions

How does local memory behave when used in autorun kernels for FPGA-based OpenCL design ?

DongWang-BJTU
New Contributor I

I am using local memory in autorun kernels as buffers to hold data within the kernels. The autorun kernels are replicated multiple times by using pragma "__attribute__((num_compute_units(LANE_NUM)))

".

It turns out that the local memory in the first compute unit (get_compute_id(0)==0) will also be write multiple times by other compute units (get_compute_id(0)>0) during software emulation. But for hardware, the local memory will only be write one time by its own compute unit.

This is a bit strange and there is no clear defination of the behavior of how local memory works for autorun kernels.

1) Are they shared between the multiple compute instance decleared by "__attribute__((num_compute_units(LANE_NUM)))" ?

2) Do they hold previous data when restart automatically ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor II

Your observation with the emulator is very strange. It could be a bug in the emulator. Autorun kernels are completely separate modules with no connection between them other than on-chip channels; there is no way the same buffer could be shared between them. Regarding whether data stored in buffers local to a specific autorun copy are kept or not after the copy is restarted, there is nothing mentioned in the documents and I would assume the behavior will be undefined in this case. If you need such consistency, it is probably best if you wrap your autorun kernel in a while(1) loop to prevent it from reseting; of course this could come at the cost of significant area overhead.

MuhammadAr_U_Intel
May I know if you have been able to try the same on latest OpenCL compiler version 19.1 ?