Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
696 Discussions

How to utilize HBM in Intel FPGA using oneAPI?

JSYOO
Novice

Hi, I am here to ask questions about how to utilize HBM in an Intel FPGA using oneAPI.

I found out that the Stratix 10 FPGA offers HBM2 and I wanted to utilize it using oneAPI.

But I could not find any instructions on how to use HBM through oneAPI.

Also, I could not find how to verify the HBM utilization.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kevin_Xu_Intel
Employee

Hello,

In full acceleration flow, (if target supports HBM) each HBM bank cab be accessed by specifying buffer_location when allocating memories.

You should be able to see HBM bank being used in your optimization report -> System Viewer:

Kevin_Xu_Intel_0-1721753453415.png

Thanks,

-Kevin

0 Kudos
JSYOO
Novice

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

Is there any example that I can reference to?

Also a little more about specifying the buffer location would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_Xu_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I don't think we have any public examples on using HBM. The only one I know is by Bittware and you will have to requests for the source code: https://www.bittware.com/resources/hbm2-2d-fft-oneapi/

If you have a HBM enabled board, the manufactory might have example that works specifically for the board.

If you are using oneAPI HLS flow (to generate IP), you will need to add HBM when you intergrade your IP in Quartus/Platform Designer 

If you are using oneAPI full acceleration flow, try follwing this doc on access heterogeneous memory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/oneapi-fpga-add-on/developer-guide/2024-1/partition-buffer-diff-mem.html

Thanks,

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @JSYOO,

Greetings, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.

Hope your doubts have been clarified.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @JSYOO,

Good day, please do let us know if there is further clarification needed from the question asked.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
JSYOO
Novice

I think I'll need some time to try things out using the references from the replies.

I'll come back to this thread or open up another one if I come up with another question.
Thanks

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @JSYOO,

Great! Good to know that your doubts has been clarify, with no further clarification on this thread, it will be transitioned to community support for further help on doubts in this thread. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support.

Thank you for the questions and as always pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos