Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
513 Discussions

Invalid Binary for FPGA Stratix 10 Nodes

lkljucaric
Novice

I recently built new FPGA images for the DPC++ code I have using the new 2021.3 version of the tools. I had previously built the same source code using the 2021.1 version of the tools and executed the designs on Stratix 10 nodes. I noticed that there are new "fast-math" optimizations for FPGAs with the new version of the tools, so I wanted to investigate the changes.

The compile/synthesis completes successfully, generates all reports, and provides the executable images. When connected to a node with a Stratix 10 device, I run the executable and get the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::sycl::runtime_error'
what(): Native API failed. Native API returns: -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY) -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY)
Aborted

Is there a disconnect between the compile nodes and the runtime nodes in terms of versioning? I am also wondering if Stratix now requires PACsign like the Arria nodes require too. Either way, there's some disconnect and I cannot find information on what changed.

For reference, the command I use to compile is:

dpcpp -I $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/include/ref -qactypes -fintelfpga -Xshardware -Xsboard=intel_s10sx_pac:pac_s10 source.cpp helper.cpp -Xsclock=400MHz -Xsprofile -v -o fpga.hw

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lkljucaric
Novice

I apologize this was more DevCloud specific than HLS.

Solution found at: community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/Invalid-Binary-for-FPGA-Stratix-10-Nodes/m-p/1300748#M2604

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lkljucaric
Novice

Investigating this issue further, I am seeing the same error when trying to execute an example vector add program. Is this something to do with changes to USM?

Command to compile:

dpcpp -I $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/include/ref -qactypes -fintelfpga -Xshardware -Xsboard=intel_s10sx_pac:pac_s10 vecadd.cpp -Xsclock=400MHz -Xsprofile -v -o fpga.hw

Attached is the source code from dpc++FPGA direct programming examples (vecadd.cpp). Compiled on "nodes=1:fpga_compile:ppn=2" node, executed fpga.hw on "nodes=1:stratix10:ppn=2" node. Passes CPU and FPGA emulation.

Full output:

Running on device: pac_s10_usm : Intel PAC Platform (pac_ee00000)
Caught a SYCL host exception:
Native API failed. Native API returns: -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY) -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::sycl::runtime_error'
what(): Native API failed. Native API returns: -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY) -42 (CL_INVALID_BINARY)
Aborted

lkljucaric
Novice

I apologize this was more DevCloud specific than HLS.

Solution found at: community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/Invalid-Binary-for-FPGA-Stratix-10-Nodes/m-p/1300748#M2604