Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

upgrading video and image processing example design

PGigl
Partner

I have downloaded the VIP example design for Cyclone V.  Unfortunately many of the cores such as the color space convertor have not been updated to the VIP II version (Color Space Convertor II).  I am manually trying to replace the blocks, trying to match the parameter settings from the original Color Space Convertor.  The gui values have changed so much that it is hard to port the parameter values to the new gui.​

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Deshi_Intel
Hi Paul, Cyclone V is legacy FPGA where the example design at that time frame was developed with VIP I version IP core only. Now both FPGA products and VIP IP core have evolved over time for these few years. - New FPGA example design development will automatically pair with latest VIP IP core. - Unlikely there will be new example design development on older legacy FPGA product like Cyclone V VIP II version IP core is typically upgraded version of VIP I version IP core. - I won't really treat them as same design. This also explained why you are having hard time to match the parameter setting. It's tough but appreciate your understanding on this issue. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​Ok, so I am punting on the Cyclone V reference design, and tried to open the UHD Video Reference Design which targets the Arria 10 GX.

I get a ton of errors when opening in the design in 19.1.

I am now trying to open Platform designer and update those to see if that will fix things. This is amazingly bad, as this is where we tell customers where to go to get started!!!!

vip_errors.JPG

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
HI Paul, If you are referring to some specific ready made reference design like Cyclone V reference design or this AN776 Arria 10 reference design then they are developed to work with certain Quartus version only. Quartus version upgraded on these designs definitely required a lot of clean up work. However, if your intention is to show case HDMI IP capability to customer then using the example design generated directly from HDMI IP will be a better choice here. You can pick any Quartus version you like and it should be error free. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​New to Intel PSG.  I am surprised that the upgrade process is so difficult.  This is not what I am used to, coming from the other guy. I would strongly suggest that Intel keep there designs current with the latest tools release.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI Paul,

Intel is doing the improvement but only applicable for latest Gen 10 FPGA product families like Cyclone 10 GX, Arria 10 and Stratix 10.

• User can easily generate example design from the IP core directly based on whatever setting that user configured in the IP core.
  • There also won't be concern with Quartus version upgrade issue as user can now generate example design from every newer Quartus version.

Unfortunately it's not easy to manage and convert legacy product design as you are aware now.

It's better to convince customer to migrate to latest FPGA product family for better support.

Thanks and appreciate your understanding on this matter.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos