Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

About the override of core frequency

shihui929
Beginner

In the datasheet of Intel CoreTM i7 Processor Extreme Edition and Intel CoreTM i7 Processor(2.4 Processor Clocking (BCLK_DP, BCLK_DN)), it says that we can override the processor core frequency setting using software. This permits operation at lower core frequencies than the factory set maximum core frequency. But I do not know how to override. Could you please tell me? vy changing the multiplier? Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - shihui929

In the datasheet of Intel CoreTM i7 Processor Extreme Edition and Intel CoreTM i7 Processor(2.4 Processor Clocking (BCLK_DP, BCLK_DN)), it says that we can override the processor core frequency setting using software. This permits operation at lower core frequencies than the factory set maximum core frequency. But I do not know how to override. Could you please tell me? vy changing the multiplier? Thanks

Yes, it is done by setting the clock multiplier in Model Specific Register, requiring ring 0 privilege. You may find references to it by web search. I don't know of any supported publicly available software, although there is linux kernel code for demand scheduling.
0 Kudos
shihui929
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Yes, it is done by setting the clock multiplier in Model Specific Register, requiring ring 0 privilege. You may find references to it by web search. I don't know of any supported publicly available software, although there is linux kernel code for demand scheduling.

Can IuseCLOCK_FLEX_MAX MSR to change clock multiplier?
0 Kudos