Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

SDE debug not working on OS-X

TIMOTHY_R_Intel
Employee

Trying to use "-debug" to diagnose where an errant instruction is being called from, but on OS-X I'm getting an error saying that the version of "pin" bundled with SDE does not support the "-appdebug_lldb_options" option.

$ ~/Downloads/sde-external-8.35.0-2019-03-11-mac/sde64 -nhm -- ./point_geometry

TID 0 SDE-ERROR: Executed instruction not valid for specified chip (NEHALEM): 0x7fff5aa69d2d: vmovups xmm1, xmmword ptr [rsi+rdx*1-0x10]

Image: /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib+0x1d2d (in multi-region image, region# 0)

Function: __platform_memmove$VARIANT$Haswell

Instruction bytes are: c5 f8 10 4c 16 f0

$ ~/Downloads/sde-external-8.35.0-2019-03-11-mac/sde64 -debug -nhm -- ./point_geometry

E: unknown option "-appdebug_lldb_options"

Pin: pin-3.8-97896-e83b36f

Copyright (c) 2003-2019, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Usage: pin [OPTION] [-t <tool> [<toolargs>]] -- <command line>

Use -help for a description of options

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkC_Intel

Since you are internal, you can contact the development team directly. If you don't know how, contact me.

That said, you can use debugtrace probably:   -debugtrace -dt-call -dt-flush  -dt-symbols 

and if the output is long, -dt-circular-buffer 10000

(See -long-help output)

0 Kudos
Miller__E
Beginner
removed
0 Kudos
r2d3
Beginner

Hello,

I am having a similar issue on macOS Catalina:

./sde -pnr -- ~/my_exe
TID 0 SDE-ERROR: Executed instruction not valid for specified chip (PENRYN): 0x7fff6eb2794d: vmovups xmm1, xmmword ptr [rsi+rdx*1-0x10]
Image: /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib+0x94d (in multi-region image, region# 0)
Function: __platform_memmove$VARIANT$Haswell
Instruction bytes are: c5 f8 10 4c 16 f0 

It seems that macOS frameworks are not using the CPUID exposed by sde to choose which version of the version to use.

I could use "-chip_check_die 0" but this will emit TONS of warning as memmove and similar functions are use everywhere. Is there a way to suppress some libs ?

Regards

David

0 Kudos
amethystdeceiver
Beginner

@r2d3, I'm having the same exact issue. Have you found a workaround?

0 Kudos