Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1094 Discussions

looking for information sources on code optimization using the Intel CPU and the MMX/SSE family instruction set

amoshkov
Beginner

Im looking for information sources on code optimization using the Intel CPU and the MMX/SSE family instruction set.

From what I have searched this group is the closest group to the subject of code optimization / vectorization.

Could someone recommend of:

1. A good reference book?
  2. A relevant user group (within Intel Software Network or any external user group)

Thanks,

Avner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Undoubtedly, vectorization will be crucial to the application of AVX. Your topic is still too broad. You may be interested in compiler auto-vectorization with Fortran (vast on-line resources available) or C (similar, with more requirements, some resources available), or something else. For example, the topic has been discussed frequently on the Intel compiler forum sites.
0 Kudos
amoshkov
Beginner

Im interested in optimization for C++ code. I am using the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manuals (5 volumes) for reference.

What I am looking for is a user group where I can post general SSE programming questions and see example source code. For example I want to know if there is a conditional statement equivalent to if/else in SSE, where I could condition intrinsic operations based on results in the registers.

Thanks,

Avner

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
SSE4 blend instructions implement if/else conditional moves, such as Fortran MERGE. Prior to SSE4, the same operation could be implemented with masks.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - amoshkov
I would suggest reading first following - "IA-32 Intel Architecture Optimization Manual", followed by - "Intel Intrinsic Functions Reference" & "Intel C++ Compiler Reference". Regarding book I would suggest - "The Software Vectorization Handbook - Aart J.C.Bik" & "Optimizing Compilers Modern Architecture - Randy Allen & Ken Kennedy". -> HIH

0 Kudos