Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Any plans for VP8 video codec support?

j_miles
Beginner
Hi Intel/IPP,

Are there any plans on providing new IPP functions and even a sample supporting the the VP8 video codec that has now officially been made open-source?

Such support of high-performance VP8 codec functions would be much desireable.

Thanks.

- Jay
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
Hello Jay,

Thank you for the feedback regarding a desire to support the VP8 codec. Can you provide some input regarding the nature of your application and use of IPP? You can reply with a private post, if you prefer.

Paul
0 Kudos
j_miles
Beginner
Hi Paul,

I might have been a bit bold in saying that such support is "much desireable" because I was primarily stating this on behalf of the community expecting that such support indeed would be generally desired.
That being said, we do have an interest in possibly supporting the VP8 codec but that ultimately depends on industry take-up and how widespread its penetration will be (which in my view is still uncertain). Nevertheless, we do need to be on the forefront, so getting IPP support "as early as possible" is fundemental in delivering a optimized codec implementation.

I have read that the current VP8 codec implementation does employ some SSEx optimization but I do not know at what level it is. Further optimization is likely possible.

Maybe do a poll to gauge the interest..?

- Jay
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Jay,

Thank you for your feedback. I tracked it into our feature request database. Our engineer is checking the license, and will review the feature when planning the future releases.

thanks,

Chao

0 Kudos
ggalperin
Beginner
Hello Intel/IPP, Any updates or plans to support VP8 video and Vorbis audio codecs in future IPP releases? Thanks, ---Greg
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee
Hi, At this time there are no plans to add additional media codecs to IPP. Thanks -Eric
0 Kudos