Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6711 Discussions

Crash in construction of UMC::VideoDecoderParams?

jasedit
Beginner
I'm using IPP 7.0.1 on an Ubuntu 9.04 (and Suse 10.3) system, and am running into an issue where the system is crashing when the UMC::VideoDecoderParams object is instantiated. In this case, I've got a block of code which looks like this:
[cpp]  boost::shared_ptr<:VIDEODECODERPARAMS> result;
  std::cerr << "Creating VideoDecoderParams . . ." << std::endl;
  result = boost::shared_ptr<:VIDEODECODERPARAMS>(new UMC::VideoDecoderParams());
  std::cerr << "Created VideoDecoderParams." << std::endl;[/cpp]
with the resulting output being:
Creating params . . .
*** glibc detected *** /home/jasedit/bin/TestApp: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0894fbd0 ***

I've got absolutely no idea what might be causing this - this block of code worked fine undera previous version of IPP (not sure which version exactly, but it's a 6.something release I'm almost certain.)

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello,

Is this 32 bit application, or 64 bit?, and which compiler you are using to build the application?

I just review the code within the function call ( just some construction functions):

new UMC::VideoDecoderParams());

There is no malloc() function call, could you have a debug within the code, and see which line of the code is crashed?

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
jasedit
Beginner
The two platforms I'm currently testing on are 32-bit - although it will be compiled on a 64-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 once this is tested and fixed as well. We're using gcc - whichever version is shipped with each distro (I can pull up version numbers if those are useful to help debug the issue.)
I'm not sure what you mean by "have a debug within the code" - I've tried to pull out information from gdb to localize the crash, but it ends up with a corrupt stack trace and provides no information.
Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
jasedit
Beginner
I've been hammering at this, and it appears that something screwy was going on when the IPP system was installed on these machines. Performing a fresh install of IPP has got both machines no longer crashing - one is working fully as expected, and the other appears to have issues in unrelated parts of the code.

Thanks for all the help!
Jason
0 Kudos