Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Finding contours

j3r3mi
Beginner
Are there any API in IPP that finds contour of a binary image? Currently i'm using cvFindContour from openCV, but its not performing fast. Well if its not in IPP, i think its a good interest to have as blob analysis will definitely require this.
Br.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

thanks for your interest to Intel IPP. That's right, we do not provide functions to find a contour in image. At least not in the current version of product. Did you use a chance to provide your feedback on IPP product through cutomers survey available on main page of this forum? Is there other functionality in OpenCV you would like to have boosted with IPP?

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
artemmikheevgmail_co
There are many variants of this function. F.e. do you want just to find boundaries, or want to extract all connected components separately and assign contours accordingly. I dont know of such API, perhaps ITK toolkit has something like that. Good and simple algorithm (in Pascal) is described in the book by Theo Pavlidis.
If you implement it yourself, use 1 byte per pixel, you will need to store several flags per pixel.

best
0 Kudos
j3r3mi
Beginner
Thanks for the replies. I would only need to obtain the external contours from the binary image (after morph opening and closing), anyhow, it would be even better if there's more options for getting the bounding box, approx poly of the contour. I did submit these suggestions. Hope some of them will be included in near coming versions of IPP.
THANKS!
0 Kudos