Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

IPP JPEG2000 UIC decoding slower than Jasper !!!

silentcooler
Beginner
I have tested different ways of JPEG2000 decoding with UIC sample and got following results, measured in millions of CPU clocks per one picture:
1. Jasper - 306.
2. IPP UIC JPEG2000 with optimization for Core2 Duo - 320.
3. IPP UIC JPEG2000 with C optimized code (px) - 420.
I used color image 1408x525 on Core2 Duo T7200 (2Ghz) with 2Gb RAM, Open SuSE Linux 11 with kernel 2.6.25 and gcc 4.3.1.
IPP version 6.0 update 1, Jasper version 1.900.1.
I used static linkage with dispatching, and i did not forget call ippStaticInit().
I thought that IPP must be faster than Jasper.
Does anybody have other results?
Can Intel comment such results?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

thanks for reporting your findings. That's really strange case. We definetely will investigate what might be a reason for that. (We did test internally with the jasper software and there was a visible performance gain for IPP case).

Does your results also reproduced with precomiled version of picnic application (which is also available in IPP sample package as separate download)?

Could it be possible for you to alsotry j2kit application from IPP JPEG2000 sample?

It also would be helpful if you can attach at least one of JPEG2000 pictures on which you experience that issue.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
silentcooler
Beginner
I have tried some variants and found that I compiled debug version of my application (which also includes JPEG2000 uic sample). If I build release version then IPP JPEG2000 decoding faster than Jasper, but only about 30%. I thought that most decoding of JPEG2000 picture is in precompiled IPP libraries. But in my experiments decoding speed depends on the application build type.
I attach to this post my test application. Test picture also in the attachment. Vladimir. Can you investigate my test and make some conclusion. Thank you.
0 Kudos
silentcooler
Beginner
The attachment.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
We will try to reproduce your issue. Note, when you compile JPEG2000 codec with non Intel compiler outside of UIC sample infrastructure you are not using OpenMP threading advantages of IPP JPEG2000. You probably could try to link your test case with precomiled UIC shared libraries provided in picnic demo package (it is separate download package)

Vladimir
0 Kudos
silentcooler
Beginner
Vladimir. Is it possible to write you in russian language? It is simpler for me to explain you my problem.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Sure, you can write in Russian, I just would prefer to keep conversation here in english because the information might be useful for other IPP customers.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
silentcooler
Beginner
I just want interesting about my question. Did you check my issue?
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hello silentcooler,

Are you still working on JPEG2000? I'm trying to update some articles in IPP KB about JPEG2000(early version in UIC)andJasper recently, so found you raise one here. I guess, the key problem here is the parallel is on or not as UIC

The belowone is one application notes we had tested about IPP JPEG2000 and Jasper. Would you like to take a look and let us know if any suggestion about the modification?

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-application-notes-intel-ipp-jpeg2000-and-jasper-in-ksquirrel/

Thanks
Ying
0 Kudos
francesco_c_2
Beginner

Dear Sir

my company is using a dual Xeon E5-2630 V3 mounted on a Supermicro X10DRL-IT board that

is used for decompressing Jpeg2000 4:2:2 images.

I've read about IPP but I'm a bit confused regading availability.  Can I evaluate it with JPEG2000 ?

Where can I get samples ?

Are these libraries available for this processors ? It seems that this processor doesn't support them:

http://ark.intel.com/products/83356/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v3-20M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Please can you give me answers or redirect me where I can find them ?

Regards

0 Kudos