Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Installing IPP Update 2 with existing C++ Compiler v11

harold_bien
Beginner
I've been looking around everywhere but cannot seem to find an answer to what I thought would've been a common situation. I have already installed the latest C++ Compiler Pro v11.0.72 and it includes IPP 6.0. However, I notice that IPP 6.0 Update 2 was released after the creation of the C++ Compiler v11 package and therefore likely does not contain the Update 2. If I were to download and install IPP 6.0 Update 2, it gets placed into its own, separate directory, and I have to end up changing all the paths for include/lib/etc from the original IPP packaged with the C++ compiler. The same goes for the Math Kernel Library and other libraries. Is there a more streamlined process for updating shorting of waiting for a "new" C++ compiler package (that weighs in at >500MB?!)

Thanks.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
I've been looking around everywhere but cannot seem to find an answer to what I thought would've been a common situation. I have already installed the latest C++ Compiler Pro v11.0.72 and it includes IPP 6.0. However, I notice that IPP 6.0 Update 2 was released after the creation of the C++ Compiler v11 package and therefore likely does not contain the Update 2. If I were to download and install IPP 6.0 Update 2, it gets placed into its own, separate directory, and I have to end up changing all the paths for include/lib/etc from the original IPP packaged with the C++ compiler. The same goes for the Math Kernel Library and other libraries. Is there a more streamlined process for updating shorting of waiting for a "new" C++ compiler package (that weighs in at >500MB?!)

Thanks.

I asked support about this a few months ago when the previous round of updates were released, and the easiest thing ended up being just as you said: wait for the next C++ compiler release. Actually, It's not that difficult to install the individual IPP package and update projects to reference it: I have put together a VisualStudio PropertSheet with all the include/lib paths and libraries to link with and use this in my projects. This way when there is a new version, just update the PropertySheet and everything just works.

If should also be possible to put together an "Intel Makefile" that does something similar under Linux. Just include the Intel Makefile in your project makefiles and rebuild. I like keeping these package settings in isolation.

Peter
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

instead of changing every INCLUDE and LIB path in your VC project settings you may want to use IPPROOT environment variable. In this case you have to change in only one place and everything will build with new IPP version.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Hello,

instead of changing every INCLUDE and LIB path in your VC project settings you may want to use IPPROOT environment variable. In this case you have to change in only one place and everything will build with new IPP version.

Regards,
Vladimir

That's a good idea, I think I'll update my Propert Sheet to use it. I do not currently have an IPPROOT set. Should this be set when the IPP or C++ Pro installer is run? I tend not to have the installer update the include and lib dirs, so this may be why it's missing.

Peter
0 Kudos
zf8848
Beginner

Thanks.

After install IPP 6.0 Update 2, rename ..intelCompilercppippia32 to ..intelCompilercppippia32.6.0 and copy ..IntelIPP6.0.2.074ia32 to ..intelCompilercppippia32 , may be copy some doc
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
No need for copy (rename IPP folder in compiler might be useful though). You can create IPPROOT environment variable to point to the latest IPP install folder.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
harold_bien
Beginner
Thanks for all the info. I've found the best solution (so far) is to use the VS property sheets and set the environment variables IPPROOT and MKLROOT and use them so that I can easily migrate back and forth between versions. Just wished that there was an easier way...
0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I

Can you actially downloadIPP Update 2 from the C++ Compiler subscription?

0 Kudos
harold_bien
Beginner
Quoting - eweber

I think it depends upon the package you purchased. As a student, I purchased the educational version which I believe is equivalent to the "Professional" edition which does include IPP, MKL, TBB, etc.
0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - eweber

Yes, the Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition 11.0 based just launched the update last week, it included the Intel IPP 6.0 update 2.

Please login to Intel Registration Center to find its updates.

In the meantime, here is the release version information supported by Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition, we will add the latest Compiler Update information shortly.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/which-version-of-ipp--mkl--tbb-is-installed-with-intel-compiler-professional-edition/

Thanks,
Ying
0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I
Quoting - Ying S (Intel)
Quoting - eweber

Yes, the Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition 11.0 based just launched the update last week, it included the Intel IPP 6.0 update 2.

Please login to Intel Registration Center to find its updates.

In the meantime, here is the release version information supported by Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition, we will add the latest Compiler Update information shortly.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/which-version-of-ipp--mkl--tbb-is-installed-with-intel-compiler-professional-edition/

Thanks,
Ying

Thanks
0 Kudos