Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6708 Discussions

Interoperability issues between IPP and x264 encoded frames

sasishiju
Beginner
Hi,

I have developed a Windows H.264 encoder/decoder application using Intel IPP. The counterpart was developed in Mac using x264. But the frames when exchanged between Mac and Windows apps, the decoding between them didnt work at either end. x264 encoded frames were decoded fine using x264 itself. IPP encoded frames were decoded fine with IPP itself. But interoperability is not met. Please let me know what could have gone wrong?

In our evaluation between x264 and IPP, we could observe that the encoded frame size for a 352*288 resolution with default parameter settings is 10 times space efficient for x264. I feel that I am not using the right set of encoding parameters. Could you please guide on this to make our evaluation proper?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sasishiju
Beginner
Quoting sasishiju
Hi,

I have developed a Windows H.264 encoder/decoder application using Intel IPP. The counterpart was developed in Mac using x264. But the frames when exchanged between Mac and Windows apps, the decoding between them didnt work at either end. x264 encoded frames were decoded fine using x264 itself. IPP encoded frames were decoded fine with IPP itself. But interoperability is not met. Please let me know what could have gone wrong?

In our evaluation between x264 and IPP, we could observe that the encoded frame size for a 352*288 resolution with default parameter settings is 10 times space efficient for x264. I feel that I am not using the right set of encoding parameters. Could you please guide on this to make our evaluation proper?

Hi,
Request you to share some information on this at your earliest convenience. We are kind of blocked on this.

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Sasishiju,

A straightthought is that the stream produced by the two encoders are incompatiablity, like fromIPP h.264 decoder readme. it is only suppport JM9.2 compliant encoder.

Known Limitations

• decoder supports decoding of files created by JM9.2 compliant encoders or latest.
  • decoder supports baseline, main, extended and high profiles features.
  • decoder can crash on some streams which have got errors or missed/redundant data.
  • decoder doesnt support multi-threading for streams with slice groups.

But as i know, there aresome userswho use x264 and IPP tocross-validate, so itwas supposed be workable incommon case. Could youattach one piece of your raw YUV file,IPPand x264video file sowe can see thedetials?

twoh.264parameter configure sample (forspeed and for quality)are in
    Setting H.264 encoding parameters in Intel IPP media processing samples

Regards,
    Ying
0 Kudos