Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

JPEG lossless encoding problem

vepro_hoffmann
Beginner
Hello,

I'm currently running into problems while encoding some 16bit grayscale pictures to JPEG lossless using code from the JPEGView exampe.
My code is working for most of the pictures but some just abort with JPEG_ERR_INTERNAL when returning from EncodeHuffmanMCURowLS.

Picture information:
witdh = 2320
height = -2920
bits per pixel = 16 bit
number of planes = 1

Do you have any idea what is happening here? I think that every value should be valid as source pixel when encoding JPEG lossless.
I've attached the uncompressed pixeldata and a screenshot of the image.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sergey_Ryadno
New Contributor I
Quoting - vepro_hoffmann
Any news? I don't think that IPP6.1 would fix this issue.
I can trace the problem into the UIC code right to the ippiEncodeHuffman function. The input seems valid to me.. and as I said before I can't think of any invalid input for huffman encoding in general.

Hi, it seems some errors in our UIC jpeg codec in LOSSLESS mode. Try to do next fixes:

1) Inuic_jpeg_enc.h file change
int GetPredictor(void) { return m_pntTransform; } to int GetPredictor(void) { return m_predictor; }

2) in jpegenc.cpp change

buflen = (m_jpeg_mode == JPEG_LOSSLESS) ?IPP_MAX(ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN,m_numxMCU * m_jpeg_ncomp * 2) : ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN;

to

buflen = (m_jpeg_mode == JPEG_LOSSLESS) ?IPP_MAX(ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN,m_numxMCU * m_jpeg_ncomp * 2 * 2) :ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN;

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
What IPP andipp-sample versionsyou are using?
ipp_sample ( look at support.txt file you can find ther smth. like Package ID: w_ipp-samples_p_6.1.0.038)
--Gennady
0 Kudos
vepro_hoffmann
Beginner
What IPP andipp-sample versionsyou are using?
ipp_sample ( look at support.txt file you can find ther smth. like Package ID: w_ipp-samples_p_6.1.0.038)
--Gennady

I was using IPP5.3 Update 4 and updated my code to w_ipp-uic_p_6.0.0.130 and w_ipp_ia32_p_6.0.2.074.
The problem stayed the same with the newer version.

0 Kudos
vepro_hoffmann
Beginner
I can trace the problem into the UIC code right to the ippiEncodeHuffman function. The input seems valid to me.. and as I said before I can't think of any invalid input for huffman encoding in general.
0 Kudos
Sergey_Ryadno
New Contributor I
Quoting - vepro_hoffmann

Hi, it seems some errors in our UIC jpeg codec in LOSSLESS mode. Try to do next fixes:

1) Inuic_jpeg_enc.h file change
int GetPredictor(void) { return m_pntTransform; } to int GetPredictor(void) { return m_predictor; }

2) in jpegenc.cpp change

buflen = (m_jpeg_mode == JPEG_LOSSLESS) ?IPP_MAX(ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN,m_numxMCU * m_jpeg_ncomp * 2) : ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN;

to

buflen = (m_jpeg_mode == JPEG_LOSSLESS) ?IPP_MAX(ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN,m_numxMCU * m_jpeg_ncomp * 2 * 2) :ENC_DEFAULT_BUFLEN;

0 Kudos
vepro_hoffmann
Beginner
The second change did it. The buffersize was too small and that's why the encoding failed.
It's also the same problem as in IPP5.3 Update 4.

Thank you very much sryadno!
0 Kudos