Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

JPEG2000 and CMYK Data (Not RGB)

turks
Beginner
Does IPP support CMYK data directly for encoding/decoding to JPEG or JEG2000 ?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Yes, IPP JPEG codec support CMYK data. Please take a look at IPP picnic GUI demo application, it show almost all features of IPP JPEG and JPEG2000 codecs. You will needTrolltech Qt library to build the picnic application. For your convenience, precompiled binary for this application is also available.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - turks
You will need Trolltech Qt library to build the picnic application. For your convenience, precompiled binary for this application is also available.

Do you have a link or can you point me in the direction of precompiled binary ?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - turks
Ok, I found Picnic and I opened a CMYK JPEG file and tried to save as a jp2 file and I got an error writing JPEG2000.
Now I open an RGB JPEG file and I CAN save it as a jp2 file.

It open the CMYK JPEG but can't save it as JPEG2000. I then save the opened CMYK JPEG and resave as a CMYK
JPEG and when I open it in Windows Photo Gallery, it shows as 24 bits per pixel (RGB).

Are you sure there is support ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I'm sure IPP JPEG support CMYK color format (you also proved that you can open CMYK JPEG file, isn't it?)
To save to CMYK JPEG you need to have 4-channel image.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - turks
Ok, I found Picnic and I opened a CMYK JPEG file and tried to save as a jp2 file and I got an error writing JPEG2000.
Now I open an RGB JPEG file and I CAN save it as a jp2 file.

It open the CMYK JPEG but can't save it as JPEG2000. I then save the opened CMYK JPEG and resave as a CMYK
JPEG and when I open it in Windows Photo Gallery, it shows as 24 bits per pixel (RGB).

Are you sure there is support ?
And you think this CMYK support (4 Channel) is also good for JPEG2000 ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
I did not say this. Will readdress your question to our JPEG2000 codec developer. I update you when get comments from him.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - Vladimir Dudnik
I did not say this. Will readdress your question to our JPEG2000 codec developer. I update you when get comments from him.

Vladimir

Thanks Vladimir,

I appreciate that.
0 Kudos
Mikhail_Kulikov__Int
New Contributor I

Hi,

no problem should beto decode 4-channelCMYK withUIC JPEG2000 decoder (no any color conversion, so image is returned in 4-channels), image colourspace will be specified as "Unknown". Try it, if it doesn't work, pleasesubmit a bug through Intel Premier Support site (if you are registered there).
UIC JPEG 2000 encoding doesn't support CMYK coding, mostly because it's an extension of JP2 file container (part 2 of the standard). If you need this feature, please race a record through Intel Premier Support.

Regards,
Mikhail

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quoting - turks
Thanks Vladimir,

I appreciate that.
If I use RGB instead, are there high level functions that can be called to take an RGB DIB and save it as
an RGB JPEG200 jp2 file ? If I look at the picnic app's jpeg2k.cpp file, could this be used as a good guide ? As a novice of JPEG2000, how do you control all the option it has like image quality, ROI etc.... Is there a good reference guide that describes any high level read and write jp2 streams routines ?

Update: I'm using the picnic app to open an 80MB RGB BMP file. When saving as LOSSY jp2, I'm seeing a 16MB
jp2 file using "No MCT" and an 8MB using "MCT" at EVERY ratio value. The ratio slider does not seem to change
file size at all using "MCT". If using "NoMCT" then the 16MB size goes to 8MB ONLY if the ratio value is zero.

In summary, if using "NoMCT" then file size remains the same (16MB) for ratio values >0. Goes to 8MB when zero. My WT is set to WT53.

(If using WT97 then ratio does not change file size at all, regardless of MCT)

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hm, that look strange. Could you please attach your file here?

Vladimir

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner

Vladimir

Here's the BMP file I've been using for my testing with Picnic.
Thanks again.

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner

Vladimir

Here's the BMP file I've been using for my testing with Picnic.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos