Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Linker Errors when Building IPPv7.1 simple_player application

Tim_S_
Beginner

Dear Support:

I recently downloaded v7.1 of the IPP and tried to build on my Windows 7 PC using Visual Studio 12. I was able to build all the audio-video-codecs libraries and compile the simple_player code successfully.  However during the linking stage I got a whole lot of unresolved external symbol errors due to it not being able to find the IPP API calls.  I noticed in the properties of the simple_player, that there isn't any reference to the IPP libraries that were installed by the SDK which explains the problem, but confused how I am supposed to build it if the libraries that are being used aren't called out.  Or am I missing something here?  I have attached the build output from the failed linking stage to this post as "BuildIPP7Problem.txt".  Obviously it can't find IPP functions, but how do I know which libraries to use to build correctly on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC running Visual Studio 2012?  I thought this would already be defined in the Visual Studio project that was provided for simple_player.

Alternatively I tried going to the audio-video-codecs directory under ipp-samples and use the "build_intel64.bat" file to build the simple_player example, but couldn't come up with the right options to use in my parameters on the command line by using:

build_intel64.bat "options"

How do I know what options to use for this build to work properly if I am using Visual Studio 2012 or alternatively some Intel compiler that is installed via IPP?   Any good examples of command lines to enter so that this batch file will work?  I am getting an error of "No any valid compiler environment found".  I have my IPPROOT environment variable set correctly, but it can't find any valid compiler and I noticed that it stops searching at Visual Studio 2010.  I am using VS2012, so is there a way to get this batch file to find this and use it or should I use some other method?  Please advise.

Thanks,
Tim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tim_S_
Beginner

Dear Support:

BTW - I have attached the console output "build_intel64_output.pptx" from executing the batch file "build_intel64.bat" file for reference to see what I am getting from running this.  Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Tim

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Tim,

If I'm not wrong, the .bat files in 7.1 release are just wrappers to set environment before starting nmake utility. You can probably start command line window with VS2012 environment and try runnign "nmake" from <samples_dir>\audio-video-codecs directory.

0 Kudos
Tim_S_
Beginner

Hey Sergey:

I know how to start a command line window, but how do I do that in a VS2012 environment?

Thanks,
Tim

0 Kudos
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi Tim,

to setup MSVC and IPP environment correctly you should:

1) run MSVC command tool: "Start" --> "Microsoft Visual Studio 2012" --> "Visual Studio Tools" --> "VS2012 (x86|x64) Tools Command"

2) in the terminal windows run setup IPP environment: "cd IPP install folder", "start ippenv.bat"

3) the new window where all necessary environments are setupped run devenv and Visual Studio will be started with all environments

Pavel

0 Kudos