Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Windows 10 support for IPL (Intel Image Processing Library)

Klarinda_W_
Beginner

Hi,

We are currently still using Intel Image Processing Library version 2.5.9.89 using the following dll:
ipl.dll
iplw7.dll
iplpx.dll
iplp6.dll
iplm6.dll
ipla6.dll

Currently we are supporting windows 7 and we are planning to migrate to windows 10 soon.

May I know if IPL library support win 10?

I understand that the IPL library is replaced with IPP instead. But unfortunately, we are currently not able to migrate the code to use IPP. So we'd like to know if it is still possible to use IPL in win 10.

Regards,

Klarinda

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Klarinda,

The image processing library already has been packaged into the Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives (Intel® IPP). Please see the link to learn more info and use IPP for your work. Hope it would be useful to you.

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos
Dega__Ganesh
Beginner
Dear Intel, We are migrating one of our Application which was running on Windows 7 and using below list of IPL (Intel Image Processing Library) libraries to Windows 10. IPL.DLL IPLM5.DLL IPLM6.DLL IPLP5.DLL IPLP6.DLL IPLPX.DLL CPUINF32.DLL As per the blog discussion, we understood that there is no support for IPL on Windows 10, But Intel provides IPP (Intel Integrated Performance) libraries to support same on Windows 10. With reference to this, we have below questions and could you please help us in getting your feedback on the same. Question-1: Is it true that Intel doesn't supports IPL on Windows 10 ? Question-2: Is IPP an alternative for IPL features on Windows 10 ? Question-3: Is IPP supports backward compatibility to IPL features, that is, Whatever API's that were used to develop our application using IPL are available or supported in IPP ? (I have also attached the Manual of IPL document, Intel Image Processing Library release 2.0 Dated 06/98 for your reference. ) Question-4: Is IPP just an library or there any support license installations are to be done ? Question-5: Are IPP libraries are open source ? Can they be used for Commercial purposes ? Question-6: Can we have any contact information to discuss on the procurement of these libraries ? As we are in a critical phase of the project, we are expecting your support at the earliest. Please do needful. Regards, Ganesh.
0 Kudos
Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hello Ganesh,

I believe you have already received our feedback by other channel for your questions.

In case other users have the same questions as you mentioned above, would like to answer the question again:

Q1: Yes, we don't support IPL on Windows10.

Q2: Yes, IPP image processing part is an alternative for IPL features on Windows 10.

Q3: No, the API’s might be different, let’s take warpBilinear as example in below, the first one API is from IPL, the second one is from IPP 2019 version.

void iplWarpBilinear(IplImage* srcImage, IplImage*
dstImage, const double coeffs[2][4], int warpFlag, int
interpolate);

IppStatus ippiWarpBilinear_<mod>(const Ipp<datatype>* pSrc, IppiSize srcSize, int
srcStep, IppiRect srcRoi, Ipp<datatype>* pDst, int dstStep, IppiRect dstRoi, const
double coeffs[2][4], int interpolation, Ipp8u* pBuffer);
Supported values for mod:
8u_C1R 16u_C1R 32f_C1R
8u_C3R 16u_C3R 32f_C3R
8u_C4R 16u_C4R 32f_C4R

Q4: IPP just a library, it’s one of component in IPS or ISS.

Q5: Some of IPP are open source, for example Crypo, for IPP image processing is still binary currently. Yes, it can be used in customer’s product.

Best Regards,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee

Ganesh,

SPL (Signal Processing Library) and IPL (Image Processing Library) projects were replaced on IPP (Intel(r) Integrated Performance Primitives that contain Signal Processing and Image Processing domains) about 20 years ago. As Ruqiu answered Intel stopped supporting SPL and IPL many years ago. We recommend you migrate on Intel(r) IPP.

Pavel

0 Kudos
Kumar__Avinash
Beginner
Dear Intel, We are migrating one of our application from windows 7 to windows 10 which uses IPL libraries. Since windows 10 doesn't support IPL, i am planning to use IPP libraries But there are no direct replacement for some of the APIs of IPL to that of IPP libraries. Below are the APIs with no replacement in IPP: 1.iplCreateImageHeader 2.iplAllocateImage 3.iplCreateROI 4.iplDeleteROI 5.iplDeallocate 6.iplSetBorderMode 7.iplDeleteConvKernel 8.iplCloneImage Please provide the alternate APIs or some workaround solutions for the above APIs asap. Regards, Avinash
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Did you check the IPP Developer Reference

There is no alternative API for #1. Regarding allocation/deallocation - ippiMalloc_<mod>/ippiFree  functions. #cloneI,age -- ippiCopy_<mod> and etc...

0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner

Since I also use IPL, and also IPP, I can tell that I can use IPL on Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit) without any problems.

But, since the installer of IPL places DLL files into System32, it is not really clean in that respect.

Any tool that use IPL can use it normally, when all IPL DLL files are placed into the same folder as the tool itself, not using the supplied installer.

That said, I have created, for internal use, a custom DLL using IPP, having a subset of IPL inside it, making it possible to not use IPL DLL's anymore, but still use IPL functionality. This was possible, because Intel has supplied an IPL wrapper which implements all functionality of IPL in source code, using IPP. It is in a samples download (latest found in w_ipp-samples_p_7.0.7.064.zip).

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

to close the loop regarding this topic: IPP supported three latest versions - IPP v.2020 which is the current one and the tow previous - v.v. 2019 and 2018 accordingly. 

0 Kudos