Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11288 Discussions

Found the solution to loud fans when using "other chassis" option when updating Firmware on a server board

idata
Community Manager

This has been a big headache for a long time with no real solution posted anywhere on the internet. Am I allowed to post this? It involved editing the SDR file. thanks

20 Replies
idata
Community Manager

I'm having problems with loud fans. They are running at full speed after bios update. Would greatly appreciate it if you could post your solution. Thanks

Kangsi

Server board : S5520SC 2 x CPU : W5590 ; Chassis : CoolMaster

idata
Community Manager

please please post the information. im also a victim of the useless fanspeed controll of an S5520SC in a S5650WS chassis.

please post the information how to alter the sdr data.

idata
Community Manager

Ok here is the fix. This is an example of how to change the Fan 5 profile setting. There are multiple settings for each fan profile, and settings for the Processor fans which need to be changed as well, but as long as you follow the same basic process it's fairly simple, just repetative.

Here is an example of code taken from the SDR file:

TAKEN FROM HC_BMC.sdr

//=========================================================================//

// Chassis Fan Control Domain 1 with profile 1,2,3,4

// For OTHER Chassis

// Fan Control Domain Number # 1 (PWM1: System Fan5 Rear Fan)

// OLTT&CLTT

//====================================================================//

_SDR_TYPE C0

_SDR_TAG 'OTHER'

_REC_LEN 001D

// Sensor Record Header

00C3 // Record ID

51 // SDR Version

C0 // Record Type

18 // Record Length

// Record Body Bytes

570100 // Manufacturer ID

0C // Record Subtype Value (Fan Speed Control SDR Record, rev 2)

// Temperature Fan Control Record

01 // Record Version

01 // Fan Control Domain Number # 1 (PWM1: System Fan5 Rear Fan)

14 // Normal Control Value (14h = PWM 20%)

FF // Boost Control Value (FFh = PWM 255%)

01 // Ramp Step (1=1%)

02 // Scan Rate (2 Cycles)

0F // Fan Profile Support

// Stepwise Linear type Temperature Sensor Sub-record

20 // Sensor Owner ID

20 // Temperature Sensor Number -- (T1)

64 // Temp Sensor failure control Value (64h = PWM 100%)

00 // Sleep Control Value

41 // [7:6]-Supported in S1 (1=yes); [5:3]-Reserved; [2:0]-Control Type (001b=Stepwise linear)

10 // Temperature Info [7]-Reserved; [6]-Domain Maximum=0; [5:3]-Negative Hysteresis=2; [2:0]-Positive Hysteresis=0

03 // Count of Temperature/Control Value Pairs (03h = 3)

0F // Temperature 1 15c

64 // Control Value 1 (Percentage) (64h = PWM 100%)

19 // Temperature 2 25c

64 // Control Value 2 (Percentage) (64h = PWM 100%)

23 // Temperature 3 35c

64 // Control Value 3 (Percentage) (64h = PWM 100%)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It clearly shows that it intends to run the fans at 100%. The value of 64 in the left column is what controls this. The intel cases have much better values for these.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 // Temperature 1 16c

19 // Control Value 1 (Percentage) (19h = PWM 25%)

1A // Temperature 2 26c

1C // Control Value 2 (Percentage) (1Ch = PWM 28%)

24 // Temperature 3 36c

32 // Control Value 3 (Percentage) (32h = PWM 50%)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically I took these values and replaced the 64 which is 100% for each instance of "other chassis" , to corresponding values like 19, 1C, and 32 which were equal to Intel's values. Obviously you don't want to change to critical temp and fan fail 100% values, just the ones that apply to normal fan operation.

Hope that helps

idata
Community Manager

@parkman

holy moly! that HC_BMC.sdr is one nice config file!

so far i can see it is highly customizable, and a really silent WS is possible.

it will take some time though!

btw. the captcha is somewhat insulting

idata
Community Manager

Hello TomMix,

@ParkMan

Firstly, thank you very much for the tips on how to modify the sdr.

@ TomMix.

When the fan are spinning too loud, it can be due to:

1. Wrong system fans are connected on the board.

2. Incompatible chassis and wrongly configured SDR.

3. Compatible chassis with a wrongly configured SDR

4. Bios Settings wrongly configured.

I have checked, the chassis that you are using is on the Tested list.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/CS-030490.htm

From the link:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e39546005s5520scqsugback.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e39546005s5520scqsugback.pdfhttp://...

For Chassis SC5650WS:

System Fan 1

Chassis Fan 3

Chassis Fan 5

Make sure to refer to the guide for correct connections.

EFI Update Procedures: 

=======================

Video on how to do the update:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030611.htm

Download this onto your desktop:

Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19007&ProdId=3073&lang=eng

Extract the zip files.

Copy all the extracted contents in the folder to a FAT-FORMATTED USB (ROOT DIRECTORY of the usb)

Insert the USB to the target machine.

Boot the system into the BIOS (F2)

Go to Boot Manager

Select the EFI Shell and press Enter

It will automatically boot onto the EFI shell.

Once on the EFI shell, the shell will look for the file startup.nsh automatically in the USB.

If it does not find the startup file, try another USB.

It will load the firmware package automatically and you just need to follow the instructions.

If you have the right 4-pin power connector is connected onto the board, then it wont ask you for the chassis.

Anyway if it asks you, make sure to choose the correct chassis when doing the SDR firmware update. Follow the instructions.

After the update of these firmware, i will go onto the bios and Advanced, System Acoustic and Performance Configuration, Throttling Mode set to Open Loop, Set fan profile as Acoustic and Altitude set 300 or less.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022809.htm

Other than this, next steps will be to verify the sel log and verify the release notes of the firmware if there is anything mentionned.

Hope these are useful,

Regards,

Aryan

Reference:

http://communities.intel.com/message/28833# 28833

idata
Community Manager

hoi aryan

1. Wrong system fans are connected on the board.

i connected the original SC5650WS fans to the headers according to the description in the manual

2. Incompatible chassis and wrongly configured SDR.

the updatepackage detects my chassis SC5650WS correctly

3. Compatible chassis with a wrongly configured SDR

the right chassis is chosen rigth during the sdr update.

4. Bios Settings wrongly configured.

the settings are configured as mentioned: acoustig, 300m or less, OLT

i purchased the S5520SC+SC5650WS combo because it was advertised as a quiet workstation.

the first time i plugged the powercord into the PSU i was quite surprised about the 'standby noise' of the PSU.

but i was told that this is standard, no way to change that.

the second surprise was the noise.level of that system running idle. wow! what a noise. that two 120mm chassis fans

can not be missed even on low rpm. they are purely heavy-duty-server-fans blowing all beside.

i admit it is save to have a cool system but that box sounds like a 10yr old overclocked AMD box!

actually i am testig some third party fans and i dont have any headache so far

the system runs on the same cool temperatures as with the 8000rpm fans

this is what i call low-noise - cool system

@parkman

as i wrote above i mounted other fans but maybe i will try to modify the sdr if i have time.

idata
Community Manager

Tom,

I have looked in the SDR file for instances of your case and there are several values for fans that are running at 100%. Editing this file would definitely help your noise level. We use Rexflow fans which have good airflow and a quiet noise level. I have tested the processors at max load with my reduced values and experienced no heating issues, in fact the temps are quite below the threshold even with all cores pegged at 100%. Good luck.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I have updated the file now how to apply the changes to system. Please someone guide me. My system is creating enormous noise by fan.

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

I am waiting here. Please help me. Stack with noise.

GBatt
Beginner

Hello,

i have a S5520HC with SC5056DP, two Xeon e5620 with BXSTS100 active heatsink.

My system is running fine but I'd like to minimize noise.

I do not need very cool because the system use the server for a few hours a day and only as pc Office.

I know you can change the file HC_BMC.sdr , but do not know how and where I can enter values to keep the fans to a minimum

You can help me?

Anyone can edit this file to me or can someone explain how to do ?

David_A_Intel

I would recommend updating the firmware on your system and make sure you select the proper chassis configuration. Once the update is completed, you may go to BIOS > Advanced > Acoustics and Performance Configuration > and set the Fan profile to Acoustics.

You may use the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24942/Intel-System-Management-Software-Intel-Active-System... Intel® Active System Console to monitor the RPMs of the fans. This will also allow you to check the logs of the system as certain error may cause the fans to run a higher speed.

GBatt
Beginner

Thanx for the reply.

I've done everything you write but the fans of the processors are still audible.

I wish to remain idle since I do not have very cool.

I wrote to see if someone could show me how to set the fan to a minimum by editing sdr, I think that the minimum values are set to use a "server" and therefore more in favor of the cooling no to reduce the noise. But when I update the SRD I noticed that the fan goes to maximum and then to a minimum. The moment is at least virtually not heard, here I would like to remain always so.

I imagine that there is a way to slowly turn the fans, my question is how can you make

thanks

GBatt
Beginner

Up, anyone can't help me?

David_A_Intel

What are the current RPM readings of the system fans? Intel does not provide assistance on creating a custom SDR file for your system. If needed, you may contact our http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel Customer Support team for proper follow up of your request.

GBatt
Beginner

ello David,

thank for the reply.

My current RPM are Processor Fan 1: 3069

Processor Fan 2: 2945

I would like to lower the speed of these two fans but I do not understand how to do

All the others three fans arent at 1200RPM

On the Intel Active System Console I have a warning for the chassis intrusion but my chassis is completly closed...

How to solve? I have SC5650DP, two Xeon e5620.

Please let me know if you are able to help me

GBatt
Beginner

Hello David, UP...

My corrent RMP are normal as Your opinion?

Let me know

Thanx

David_A_Intel

These are a bit higher and most certainly you would hear them.

GBatt
Beginner

I've try to run Selview on Efi but i have a crash when load the ipmi driver. I've try also on windows 8.1 but i have an error. How to solve and lunch the selview to view the error code?

Justin_H_Intel
Employee

I know this is old, but just if someone else runs into this problem.

One thing to note;

the noise i have had in my servers, has been due to the PSU fans.

I quieted them down by installing both PSUs (my server had redundant supplies) and connecting power to them.

the other supply fires up full bore for a sec, then both supplies slowly ramp down.

idata
Community Manager

I know this post is ages old, but ....

My Intel S5000PSL motherboard (S5000.86B.04.00.0066.101220061333) is very loud. lm-sensors/fancontrol is not able to control the fan speed. IPMI is able to read out the speed, but I do not know how to set rpm speed accordingly to temperature/load.

17:49:07^root@datastorm:~/Files/iasl > ipmiutil sensor -i 000d -v

ipmiutil ver 2.85

isensor: version 2.85

idx = 0xd

-- BMC version 0.55, IPMI version 2.0

_ID_ SDR_Type_xx ET Own Typ S_Num Sens_Description Hex & Interp Reading

000d SDR Full 01 01 20 m 04 snum 51 CPU 2 FAN = 3d OK 2013.00 RPM

Entity ID 29.3 (Fan), Capab: arm=man thr=write evts=state

Volatile lo-noncr 396.00 lo-crit 330.00

SdrThres lo-noncr 396.00 lo-crit 330.00

nom 4455.00 nmax 8415.00 nmin 495.00 smax 8415.00 smin 0.00

ipmiutil sensor, completed successfully

17:51:42^root@datastorm:~/Files/iasl > ipmiutil sensor -i 000c -v

ipmiutil ver 2.85

isensor: version 2.85

idx = 0xc

-- BMC version 0.55, IPMI version 2.0

_ID_ SDR_Type_xx ET Own Typ S_Num Sens_Description Hex & Interp Reading

000c SDR Full 01 01 20 m 04 snum 50 CPU 1 FAN = 3b OK 1947.00 RPM

Entity ID 29.1 (Fan), Capab: arm=man thr=write evts=state

Volatile lo-noncr 396.00 lo-crit 330.00

SdrThres lo-noncr 396.00 lo-crit 330.00

nom 4455.00 nmax 8415.00 nmin 495.00 smax 8415.00 smin 0.00

ipmiutil sensor, completed successfully

17:51:44^root@datastorm:~/Files/iasl >

Via IPMI I am able to read out the current RPM values. It seems like it is also possible to set thresholds via ipmi (see ipmi docs), however, none of the returning values make any sense. There is no point of reference 396? 330? 4455? 8415? What do those numbers mean? This shouldn't be that hard to adjust.