Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJac
Beginner

Intel NUC6i7KYB bios will not update

Hello -- I have Modula Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYB) running Windows 10 version 1511 (out of date, I know, but this is a problem for a different forum and a reason I found out the BIOS weren't updating). My current BIOS version reads as # 0037 (KYSKLi70.86A.0037.2016.0603.1032) in both the Windows command prompt query and the BIOS boot menu on startup. The following steps have been attempted to install BIOS releases 0053, and then 0051 when that didn't take.

I first attempted to remedy this automatically with the Intel Driver and Support Assistant. I am prompted that I need a BIOS update, which I downloaded and installed, and after reboot produced a popup saying the BIOS update was success.The BIOS version did not update as confirmed in both windows query and boot menu.

I then did this manually with the windows executable, which rebooted, offered no such popup or error messages, and did not update the BIOS.

I then downloaded the .bio for both, and did a manual F7 install in the boot menu, same result, as well as attempt to boot from flash drive, again same result.

I'm out of ideas. I have been having additional Windows update issues for some time, in case that helps form a possible constellation of issues, but will spare you the prose for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

-LJac

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JRayn
New Contributor I

Are you trying to go from 0037 to 0051 all in one go?

It might work if you go up in stages.

I was advised to do this by Intel Support when I had to upgrade my BIOS through around 7 stages.

Good luck!

LJac
Beginner

Yeah, that was the idea. Guess I was just getting lazy. I'll start at 41 then and see what happens

Edit: So I've just attempted 0041 (the next release following 0037) with 3 different installation techniques, and still am stuck on 0037. I'll try 0042 as well, but can't say I'm terribly optimistic (edit: was also a no go)

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Try doing a jumper recovery of the BIOS. Open the KY NUC and remove the yellow jumper next to the M.2 slot. Before this, put the BIO file you want to flash to on a FAT32 formatted flash drive that was formatted as a slow format, not quick format. Connect the drive and power on the system. If the flash drive is detected correctly, you will see a countdown on screen that the update will start in 20 seconds.

Once the flash completes, power off the system and pull the power plug. Let the system sit for 20 to 30 seconds, Put the yellow jumper back on the 1-2 pins next to the M.2 slot just like it was before. Plug back in the AC power and power on the system. It should be updated using this method. If not than you may have a bad NUC and will need a replacement. Call customer service for an RMA.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In my experience, BIOS installations silently failing is the result of bad or incompatible memory. The process that the BIOS uses to recover from memory that fails to initialize will cause the BIOS update operation to be forgotten (system just reboots). This could also affect the success of attempts to do BIOS Recovery. If this is the case, you will likely need to try dropping down to one SODIMM if you are currently not working with two SODIMMs or borrowing memory from someone else to try if it is not working with a single SODIMM installed.

What kind of memory do you have? Please provide part numbers, not descriptions.

...S

LJac
Beginner

Hi there, thanks for the replies -- haven't tried the jumper boot just yet.

Memory: single SODIMM 8GB

PartNumber=CT8G4SFD8213.M16FB

TypeDetail=128

Seen one other issue with this chip-- won't be able to borrow one from anyone unfortunately. If you think it's a plausible cause, I'll order up a new set and upgrade after I try the jumper reset.

Thanks again, everyone.

n_scott_pearson

Yea, this SODIMM is problematic in the NUCs. You want the xxxFA, not the xxxFB parts.

...S

LJac
Beginner

Bummer since it shipped with it, but so it is.

Thank you all so much again for the help.

MHalb2
Beginner

do you have a solution for this problem ? I have the exact same problem, tried out a different RAM (Gskill F4-2133C15S-8GRS Memory SO D4 2133 8GB C15 Rip 1x 8GB, 1,2V, Ripjaws) without luck. Are there any other things I can try ?

n_scott_pearson

Lars,

"Shipped with it"? You mean you ordered it from someone who bundles and this was the memory that they included? If this is the case, did they not do any testing before shipping it to you?

Or did you simply order the parts from the same storefront and thus they shipped together?

...S

n_scott_pearson

Markus,

Please open a separate incident report so that your issue can be tracked separately from Lars'.

So, you went from one memory not in the compatibility report to another memory not in the compatibility report?

...S

CBund
Beginner

halfknight

If your setup is like mine and you're still having the same problem, here's some things I must do before updating:

-Pause BitLocker for at least four consecutive Reboots with elevated PowerShell ISE. Hit "Enter" key after using the following command:

Suspend-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:" -RebootCount 4

-Temporarily allow 3rd-Party installs (I think it's the 1st checkbox under the Security Tab in your UEFI)

There were a couple other things to do, but they slip my mind atm. Hopefully this helps though.