Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

Issues with Netflix 4K in Edge

minitsar
Beginner

I have recently discovered that I no longer see 4K content on Netflix in Edge. All content is restricted to HD. The problem is present across all 3 NUCS that I own: NUCi3BEK, NUC11PAHi3 and NUC11PAHi5. The funny thing is that I can see 4K content in the Netflix Windows app but just not in the Edge browser.

I looked at 3 possible culprits: version of Edge, version of HEVC extension and version of video driver.

All 3 NUCs had Edge Version 100.0.1185.39 and HEVC 1.0.50361.0 installed. I tried switching between 1191, 1631 and 1660 versions of the Intel graphics driver but problem persisted. I have even gone down to the 27.20.100.9466 driver because I have the "NUC can't shutdown" problem as well

I connected my HP Pavilion laptop (Ryzen 3500u with Vega with the same versions of Edge and HEVC to the same TV using the same HDMI cable and I could see 4K content in both Netflix Windows app and Edge so the problem is isolated to the NUCs

When I type in edge://gpu, I found that HDCP 2.2 and HEVC 4K was not enabled. This was consistent across all 3 NUCs. However, Intel Graphics Command Center tells a different story

Screenshot 2022-04-16 154822.pngScreenshot 2022-04-16 154907.png

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello minitsar,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with some Intel NUCs.  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. What is the brand and model name of your monitor and/or TV?

4. Are you using a straight connection or adapter? Provide the connection used (HDMI to HDMI, DP to DP, etc).

5. Have you performed any changes to the BIOS?

6. Is HDR enabled in Windows?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

minitsar
Beginner

Hi

SSU log and Graphics report attached

TV is iffalcon K72SG 65-inch connected directly via HDMI. HDR is not enabled in Windows

DeividA_Intel

Hello minitsar, 

Thanks for your reply. Please try the following in order to troubleshoot your problem:

1. Update your graphics driver o version 30.0.101.1191:

2. Disable hardware acceleration:

• Click on the three dots menu and then click on Settings.
  • Click on System.
  • Turn off Use hardware acceleration when available.

3. Try a different browser (Chrome, Firefox).

4. Check this behavior with Microsoft, this seems a known issue on their side.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

minitsar
Beginner

As explained in my original post, I have already tried 1191, 1631 and 1660 versions of the 30.xx.xx series of Intel graphics driver.

Enabling/disabling HW acceleration does not change anything

Chrome and Firefox does not support 4K in Netflix by design as only Edge has the required DRM.

I connected my HP Pavilion laptop (Ryzen 3500u with Vega with the same versions of Edge and HEVC to the same TV using the same HDMI cable and I could see 4K content in both Netflix Windows app and Edge so the problem is isolated to the NUCs

DeividA_Intel

Hello minitsar, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

minitsar
Beginner

I used the Reset function to reinstall Windows for all my NUCs and I could get back 4K in Netflix/Edge. However, Windows auto update somehow found it necessary to install the same version of the Intel video driver (30.0.101.1660) and it broke the 4K playback again! Typically, driver updates are optional but I don't know why Microsoft made this driver update compulsory.

I can disable auto updates via group policy editor but stopping auto updates in Windows cannot be a permanent solution because it means I am not getting ALL updates and not just the Intel video driver.

AlHill
Super User

Use the windows wushowhide utility to block a specific update:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/53184.show-or-hide-updates-utility-fixin...

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

minitsar
Beginner
@Rowe147

Please read my original post. Your suggestions are not applicable.
AlHill
Super User

You said "just the Intel video driver."   I gave you a way to do just that.   If you have to do it on multipe machines, so be it.

minitsar
Beginner
@AlHill

My previous reply was not to you. It was to Rowe147 who has since deleted his/her post so it now appears like I was saying that your solution was not applicable which is not the case

Thanks for your suggestion about blocking the specific update. I will try it out.
AlHill
Super User

Ok, thanks for letting me know.   I use the wushowhide tool on ten of my 16 machines, all of which are NUCs, to stop MS driver overrides.  It is a pain to have to go through this just because MS and Intel cannot work out the driver issue.

minitsar
Beginner

I used the wushowhide tool and hid the Intel display update but it still shows up.....am I doing something wrong?Screenshot 2022-04-29 111059.png

AlHill
Super User

What I do is this:

Remove the driver that MS forces

Install the driver I want

reboot

Immediately run wushowhide to hide the MS driver before they reinstall it

That takes care of it for me.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi minitsar,

I am currently looking into this issue, can you please confirm that you don't see this issue when running GFX Driver version 27.20.100.9466 but once updated to driver versions 1191, 1631, and 1660, the issue is back again?

Regards,

Ronny G

minitsar
Beginner

Hi Ronny,

It doesn't matter what driver version is used. As far as I can tell, there is some conflict with the Intel driver version that Windows Update installs and the Intel driver version that is found on the Intel website even though it's the exact same driver version number.

Even though I already have version 1660 installed (from the Intel website),  Windows Update still insists on installing the same version 1660 as you can see from my screenshot above. I have to use wushowhide to stop MS from installing the driver. 

From what I've found so far,

SCENARIO 1

1. Reinstall Windows

2. Let Windows install the Intel video driver (may not always be the latest version found on Intel website. MS only just updated to the 30.1660 driver a couple of days ago. MS was previously installing the 27 series of video driver). Netflix 4K playback works in Edge.

3. If I install the Intel website driver version over the MS one, 4K playback breaks.

SCENARIO 2

1. Reinstall Windows

2. Install the Intel website driver version immediately. Netflix 4K playback works in Edge.

3. Windows Updates will auto install the MS version over the Intel website version. 4K playback breaks.

DeividA_Intel

Hello minitsar, 

I am sorry to know that the issue persists. I will continue with the investigation considering the scenarios that you shared. I will let you know as soon as I have any information for you.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

minitsar
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

I would like to add that once the Netflix 4K playback breaks in Edge, I have found that uninstalling/reinstalling the video drivers (old or new) does not get it back. The only way is to reinstall Windows which is, of course, a major hassle

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi minitsar,

Thanks for providing additional details, allow me some time to work on it and I will get back to you.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi minitsar,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we have been looking into this issue, we did some research and also tried to replicate and ended up with mixed results.

We believe the issue is not with the GFX Driver and of course it is not the hardware as the Netflix* app works as expected.

I would recommend that you open a ticket with Netflix* support and also with Microsoft* support. I think Microsoft* support should be able to help you debug Edge* and root cause this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G