Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12142 Discussions

NUC11PABi7 sound hickups

ErikX
Beginner

My new NUC 11 is updated with all the latest drivers but still has issues with sound what fall out like it has the hickups or studders. The frequency the issue occurs differs from time to time - sometimes several times per minute and sometimes no issue for 30 minutes. It happens no matter if i play a video file from external source, stream from netflix or spotify. If I play the material directly on my UHD 4K TV there is no issue at all. Tried different HDMI cables and HDMI ports with the same issue.

Very frustrating since I splurged for the best NUC I could find. Hoping anyone has a suggestion that I could try.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello ErikX

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. Please share with us the following information:

• To better understand the problem, please share a video of the problem.
  • Steps to replicate this
  • Which OS are you using?
  • Complete setup (adapters, converters, cables, ports, devices)
  • Does this happen with different displays or just one?
  • Did you try using the Thunderbolt ports on the NUC?
  • Does this happen since you bought the NUC?
  • Do you get any errors on Device manager?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

ErikX
Beginner

Hi David,

The NUC was connected (HDMI) to a Pioneer receiver (HDMI) Panasonic OLED when we got it in July. The sound was not a problem but all video material has been poor in dark scenes. The receiver dindt allow 2160p HDR 60hz so I had to do either 1080p 60 hz or 2160p 30hz and due to this issue I have bought a Sonos soundbar and that is when I discovered the issue with the sound. I bought a Samsung soundbar but the issue was still there. The set up was then: NUC (HDMI) Panasonic OLED (HDMI) Soundbar. I have tried different HDMI cables (hi speed). TV wireless with built in NETFLIX app - no issue and AMAZING picture. TV (HDMI) Soundbar no issue either. NUC (HDMI) TV (no soundbar or reciever) and the sound issue is back. This made me conclude there is nothing wrong with TV nor the soundbars - the origin of the issue is the PC. I have also tried to several HDMI cabels and ports on the TV but since its a TV - I have not been able to test the Thunderbolt port if they work without issue.

I use Windows 10 on the NUC. No issues identified in the Device Manager - but the OLED is not identified and refered to as Generic PNP Monitor.

Hope you find anything more to test that I have not already thought about... Thank you.

PS. I have now reinstalled Windows to see if that would help, but no such luck

PS2. Amazon just delivered a replacement unit but the issue remain. Added a video with the sound issue and also a picture that show issue with picture. The fade is not smooth and creates blocks not only in dark scenes...

David_G_Intel

Please also share with us the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

Regards, 

David G 

David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information provided. We are working on this request, the updates will be posted on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

David_G_Intel

@ErikX we followed the same steps and tried to reproduce the problem but we did not get the same outcome. We recommend that you directly contact Intel Customer Support to check for warranty options. Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography: 

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html 

Europe, Middle East and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html 

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html 

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html 

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards, 

David G