Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMora47
Beginner

[NUC7i3BNK] Crash when creating Vulkan Compute Pipeline.

Description: I made a game that seems to work on many platforms (windows, linux - intel, nvidia, radeon), but crash especially on this NUC.

It uses 3 compute pipelines. The first one is created correctly, but the creation of the second systematically crash with a segmentation fault in "igc64.dll". The Vulkan validation layers don't report any problems.

I attach the error log and my system informations.

To reproduce the problem, you can download the game here: https://ealrann.itch.io/vsand

The source of the game is on github:

https://github.com/Ealrann/VSand

And especially, the shader of the second compute pipeline (not sure the problem is here, just a feeling):

https://github.com/Ealrann/VSand/blob/master/org.sheepy.vsand/src/main/resources/board_update.comp

I compile the shaders with:

- glslangValidator

And optimize it with:

- spirv-opt -O

- spirv-remap --strip all --dce all

(spirv tools from here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/SPIRV-Tools

My application should only require Vulkan v1.0.0

If you need any informations, please let me know.

Aurélien.

Hardware: NUC7i3BNK, I3-7100

RAM: 8GB

Graphic: Intel HD Graphics 620.

Driver version: 24.20.100.6286 Date: 9/27/2018 (the latest version for this NUC).

No other graphic device.

Single Display, Tested with:

- an EFP monitor Samsung S27H85, 2560 x 1440

- a TV, 1920 x 1080.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to test this; however, I want to know exactly how the error looks. Is it a freezing or is there an error message? 

Let me know please.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

AMora47
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, The application simply crash with an error: "Segmentation error", in the DLL "igc64.dll" (the intel driver?). The complete error message is in the file "output.txt" (attached to my first message).
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with the details needed, please allow me some time while I test this on-site to see if the error can be replicated.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Just keeping you updated that I'm still testing and working on this, please provide me some more time and I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I have tested the game on-site and found no errors or crash issues when running it, I tested it for a while but there was no error to be seen. 

Please provide me with pictures or videos of the error happening since this was not shown during my testings. 

Regards, 

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

David V

AMora47
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your testing. Well, there is nothing really specific to reproduce the problem: just running the app instantaneously crash on my computer. I though of a bug in the Intel driver, maybe, since you test I guess it's more related to my NUC7i3BNK.

I'll try to reinstall the driver/maybe windows to see if it still happen, but it's not really important since the game works on some other configuration (eg, no problem on a UHD620 laptop).

I have a last question: The graphic driver for this nuc is a bit old (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95069/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BNK), and I cannot find anything more up to date (the mainstream driver for HD620 refuse to be installed on my nuc). Do you know if there is some up to date drivers somewhere ? Or even some nightly builds ?

Thank you for your time.

Aurélien.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, the one that is recommended is the one listed for the specific Intel® NUC, this is because the drivers have been customized to work with the Intel® NUC; nevertheless, the generic drivers for the graphics adapter should work with the system, if you are unable to install it then I would recommend waiting for a driver update. You can try these steps if you want to try the generic graphics driver:

1 - Download the latest driver and save it on the computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28991/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

2 - Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3 - Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

4 - Restart the computer.

5 - Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

6 - If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

7 - Install the driver that was downloaded on step 1.

8 - Restart the computer.

9 - Reconnect to the Internet.

I hope this helps.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Were you able to check my previous post?

Please let me know if you need more assitance.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AMora47,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

Under Contract to Intel Corporation