Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i5DNKE no UEFI boot

Have a new NUC7i5DNKE kit. Added a 8GB SODIMM and a Western Digital m.2 SSD. System boots up and the BIOS shows the SSD as being there. However, it doesn't show up as a boot drive under UEFI. I have read the other posts about enabling both UEFI and Legacy mode so software can be installed. That defeats the use of enabling Secure Boot. I have tried another m.2 SSD and the same thing happens. The SSD is recognized in the BIOS as being there, but doesn't show up as a boot drive under UEFI. It did this under BIOS 0032 so I upgraded to 0039 and the same thing happens.

The first time I set everything up I didn't notice the drive missing under UEFI. Windows 10 started the install but hung at 1%. Looking closer I then noticed the drive missing under UEFI boot. That's the behavior with just UEFI checked. If I check just Legacy the drive doesn't appear there either. I have to have both UEFI and Legacy checked. Then the drive shows up as a bootable drive but just under Legacy.

In the BIOS under Devices, SATA, the SSD shows up. Under PCIe the drive shows up and the M.2 box is checked. Funny thing is when I try to install the OS the first time the drive showed as a new drive with no partitions. When I checked the settings again and started the install the drive had 4 partitions. So something was working. It just hung at 1% for a couple of hours before I shut it down to start over.

SSD work in a NUC5.

So how do I get this NUC to recognize the drive as bootable under UEFI. Because frankly, right now, the device is worthless and I will have to find something else for the client.

Art

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ArtDeKneef,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the boot issues (UEFI) that you are experiencing; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In order to assist you better, please go ahead and let us know:

Model of the drives/M.2

Where did you get the copy of windows 10 or which utility was used to create the image

If you press F10 when the installation media device is connected, you should see 2 options to install Windows; among those you should see "UEFI installation", can you take a picture of that and attach it to the thread?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

First drive tried: Western Digital WDS250G2B0B-00YS70 WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280

Second drive tried: Western Digital WDS256G1X0C-00ENX0 WD Black PCIe Gen2 x4 VNMe SSD 2280

Neither drive would display under UEFI as a boot drive. But the NUC recognized the SSD.

Windows 10 was gotten from Microsoft Media Creation Tool and installed on a USB3 drive. I have used this USB for installing on several other builds without issue.

Here's the picture of the F10 boot screen.

Further information to this. I have a NUC5i3 that has a Micron SSD, shows up under UEFI and works fine. I took the WDS250G2B0B and installed it into that NUC5i3 and it installed Windows 10 from the same USB just fine. Removed the WDS250, which now has a copy of Windows 10 installed under UEFI, and put it back into the NUC7i5. The system booted into Windows 10 just fine, well missing some of the NUC7i5 specific drivers. I rebooted and entered the BIOS of the NUC7i5 and the drive shows up as a UEFI boot device. And Secure Boot can be checked.

So to me, there appears to be a problem with the BIOS being able to identify M.2 SSDs as boot devices with a brand new SSD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ArtDeKneef,

Thank you for your patience, we really appreciate all the information that was provided to us.

We are currently trying to replicate your issue in our facilities in order to provide you with a suitable answer regarding your issue, this may cause a brief delay between our answers.

We will reach you out as soon as we have news.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ArtDeKneef,

Thank for your patience.

During these past weeks we have been working in order to replicate the M.2 SSD recognition issue that you are experiencing.

Taking your thread and the brief description of your issue as a reference, we were able to replicate the problem and to find the cause.

The reason why the hard drive is not displayed under UEFI as a boot drive, but it shows up under legacy (or if you check legacy and the drive doesn't appear there either) is because currently the OS is not installed on UEFI mode but on Legacy mode.

The fix for this issue is to install the OS into UEFI mode by following these steps:

-Access the BIOS and add a check on UEFI boot under the boot section.

-Press F10 to save the changes and reboot the machine with your flash drive plugged in (flash drive with OS image)

-While posting, press F10 to access the boot menu

-Once that you are on the boot menu select the flash drive with the name "UEFI:" on it

Proceed with the OS installation and once that is done access the BIOS to make sure that the hard drive shows up under as a UEFI boot drive.

I hope this helps, please let us know the outcome.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'll try this with the next NUC system I get.

The same thing happened with a NUC7i3DNKE we got a couple of weeks ago. I just put the M.2 SSD into a NUC5i5 and installed the OS there and then moved it to the NUC7i3DNKE and let it finish the detection and install there. Worked fine that way. M.2 SSD showed up under UEFI and I was able to enable Secure Boot.

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ArtDeKneef

Thank you for your response.

I would like to follow your case closer.

If you wish I will keep the thread open so I can monitor it until you try with your next NUC, I will follow up every 5 days.

Please let us know if you want to keep on receiving assistance regarding this issue.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ArtDeKneef,

I would like to verify if you still need assistance?

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back again if necessary.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Diego,

I have made note of the fix and will try it next time. Everything is working fine right now so we can close this out.

Thanks.

Art

0 Kudos