Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SLana
Beginner

NUC8i7HVK-Replacing TIM and thermal pads, worth it?

Hi,

So, i'm thinking to replace both the thermal paste and pads on this (incredible) neat machine. I don't plan to overclock but achieving the best thermal results instead (undervolting and replacing thermal interface materials).

Has someone done it who could share some results ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Unless your machine is OLD (4 years or more or thereabouts), replacing the TIM is like changing the air in your tires.

Just an opinion.

Doc

GMoos
Beginner

I've turned off Turbo Boost and underclocked and have reduced temps from 95-99 down to 82 max when gaming so it's definitely worth it. I've heard about redoing the thermal paste and wondering if it's worth trying that as well, I'm pretty sure I saw another post where someone did it and reduced temps by 5 degrees or so. Currently my idle temps are 48-52 and I'd like to get them a bit lower.

SLana
Beginner

Ok, after digging it, i found how to lower temps drastically and within expected thermals with this machine. I'm now in the 40s for the CPU at idle and around 70 under load. It's about the same for the GPU, these temps are for the machine under light 3D gaming and broswing web and such.

Core voltage is set to minus 160, stable, HT disabled, turbo power package time windows set to 28.

That said, i ordered really high end thermal pads for the VRM and TIM for the dies (obviously), i love to tweak and achieve the best possible results.

Other than that, auto fan off is disabled and min fan rpm to 35%, for better idle temps. This machine is pretty silent, and good acoustics under load, i like that.

Now my issue is to tear down the machine properly, what is the best method ? Remove the Mobo and then the heatsink, or can i remove the mobo by unscrewing the heatsink directly ?

cheers

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

If you must:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fiePyi6Xu0&t=2s Hades Canyon NUC Disassembly and Blowers-Cooling Solution - YouTube

But it doesn't tell you everything.

SLana
Beginner

Thank you, from what i see, the motherboard should come off the heatsink with all screws removed. I'll see...

SLana
Beginner

I managed to tear down the beast, this is not easy ! I don't recommend doing this, the risk of breaking the unit is real! Anyway, i can share my results...

Core voltage is at -145mV, it wasn't stable at -160mV

HT is OFF, TURBO is ON

FAN auto OFF is disabled

The TIM from factory was dry, but the contact was good so the temps were good with my settings. I replaced it with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and i replaced the thermal pads with Fuipoly highest ones.

BEFORE: room temp at 25C~

AFTER : room temp at 25C~

That's about 2 to 5 degrees Celsius lower on CPU and GPU dies+VRM temps.

I feel this kind of PC is made for enthusiasts, so please INTEL, make it easy to tear down, so we can call this a KIT. I really wished that was easier to service.