Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11882 Discussions

Really weird problem in ethernet adapter in NUC8i5BEH. Help needed in debugging.

MK29
Beginner

Hello,

I have really annoying issue with my new intel NUC8i5BEH regarding the ethernet connection. There is massive packet loss and high RTT times on some quite weird situations. I'll try to clarify the issue as good as possible.

First when I received NUC I performed bios upgrade (BECFL357.86A.0056.2018.1128.1717) and disabled all unneeded fetures from bios before starting to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release to test some KVM virtualization in nuc and noticed that installation will fail because NUC is not able to download packages. Ethernet connection gets ip address but there is so huge packet loss that apt cannot donwload packages. This is easy to notify by pinging nuc or pinging gateway from nuc.

I tried all kind of debugging and performed bios reset etc. and after a while tried ESXi in nuc and suprisingly network worked. I also noticed that network was working with ubuntu live disk if I download drivers from intel and build e1000e module from intel source code. My first assumption was that there is buggy kernel driver in ubuntu's kernel. But...

Looks like I was gone little confused during those debugging-days and propably I had once again performed bios reset which made esxi to work temporarily because one day I noticed that network is no longer working in esxi either. That's after I have done my "final" configurations in bios (and disabled unneeded features).

I tried to find a specific setting in bios that might cause the issue to appear in network connection and managed to find it! And here is my conclusion.

If I go to bios and disable SD card reader (yes, you read correct) and start ubuntu 18.04 live linux, the connection is not working perfectly. Packet loss starts usually immediately but always after I start browser and go to some web page. Then ping starts to increase from < 1 ms to 100, 500, 5000 and 10 000 ms and also some packets are lost totally. After disconnecting the network cable or rmmod e1000e && modprobe e1000e it might be that the connection is working properly couple of seconds but then the issue is there again.

If I go to bios and set SD card reader again to read/write mode, everything seems to work quite ok. So what?? Disabling SD card reader breaks ethernet adapter? It might also be possible to fix this issue by compiling drivers from intel source code and modprobe e1000e (new module), but thats still really weird issue and I would like to hear some clarification from intel of some comments from other users. Ubuntu's kernel should support this version of adapter (Ethernet Connection (6) I219-V), because the device id is in place in kernel code and it will recognize adapter.

So I will be really glad if someone could try to reproduce this issue with same generation NUC. It's easy by flashing ubuntu desktop 18.04 to usb stick and booting from that after disabling sd-card reader from bios. Then just go to some web page with browser (maybe thats needed because that generates some traffic) and concurrently ping your network gateway. How does the ping delay behave?

Also some comments from intel would be really appreciated. There might be some really weird issue with hardware & bios & driver or then my NUC is broken. And I would like to get some solution because if nobody else cannot reproduce this, then I will return the product to reseller.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
MK29
Beginner

No I didn't. At some point I thought that using the driver from Intel website (v. 3.4.2.1) but I don't remember anymore what was the case with that. But you can try that. Anyway I think there is something for Intel to investigate because this issue is depending on the SD card reader state.

By the way, I think that the driver version in the linux kernel does not mean anything. It's just a variable in kernel module code that is bumped up when someone remembers to do so. (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/netdev.c)

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

PBelz and MK29,

I will try to generate some traffic and will test again.

Is it possible for any of you to run the same test I did and add some screenshots? Can you try Ubuntu? We offer limited support for Linux operating systems and I am not seeing any error with Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Ronny G

MK29
Beginner

I don't have the device anymore but when I had I was using Ubuntu.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi PBelz and MK29,

I tried this configuration again and generated some additional traffic as we said before and had no issues at all.

I also brought this item up to the product team and we have no reports , I would say: contact Intel Customer Support and open a case to seek for resolution, probably unit replacement.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I am not aware of any particular reason why BIOS v0056 is no longer available at Intel Download Center. I can investigate that but, is there any reason why you wont update to latest version v0066 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28638?v=t&language=en_US ?

Also, I tried this configuration with latest BIOS and Ubuntu, I just tested it immediately after I got the OS installed, no changes made to the OS and as you can see on the screenshots I posted I had no issues with the SDCard enabled or disabled.

I also tried windows before I tried Ubuntu and had no issues. Is it possible that you try latest BIOS and Ubuntu? and would you mind telling me how many units are affected?

Regards,

Ronny G

MK29
Beginner

Hello,

Please try to generate some traffic before testing ping when the SD card reader is disabled. Open web browser and browse couple of webpages.

PBelz
Beginner

Here is a quick update regarding the issue:

1- I was able to reproduce on the bios version 66.

2- I believe it's not directly linked to the SD card reader: While having the problem under Ubuntu Live CD (SD Card disable in bios), if I plug a second usb flash drive and restart the e1000e driver, the problem disappears. If I remove the flash drive and restart the driver again, the problem comes back.

3- After updating the e1000e driver to the latest version (3.4.1.2), I'm unable to reproduce the problem anymore.

It looks like the e1000e driver and some other usb drivers interfere, and that adding a USB peripheral (SD Card reader or others) somehow hides the problem. I'm not 100% sure that upgrading the e1000e driver to 3.4.1.2 fixes the problem (vs just reducing the occurrence rate), but this will be our workaround for the time been.

As for the bios v56 that disappeared, we will ship our first batch with it and upgrade to v66 in a few weeks after qualification.

If you want to reproduce it I can provide you with our custom .bio file. Then it's just a matter of booting the latest Ubuntu Live directly from a usb flash drive. I'm surprised that people didn't experience that before, although I guess not a lot of people deactivates unused devices...

PShar26
Beginner

@MK29​, thank you for your post!

I just purchased a NUC8i5BEH to use as a multipurpose server.

I disabled several bios options including the SD card reader very first thing.

There after I began attempting to install debian buster.

Network speeds were stuck in the B/sec range and packets were being dropped like they were part of a Snoop Dogg track. I had to hack my way through a partial install.

I tried so many things, upgrading the bios, different drivers, ethtool manual speeds and finally wild west arch linux wing chun everything-goes-destruction.

16 hours later I was all but convinced that either I was either a technological invalid or my NUC was defective.

Finally some google-fu brought me here.

All I have to freaking do is turn back on the SD card reader?!? I'LL TAKE IT!!! Freak'n A!!!

Now I can finally move on with my life.

I hope everyone with this issue finds this thread, and also that one day this is no longer an issue.

I love my NUC, intel is awesome, MK29 is the bee's knees, I'm out...

BMacL2
Beginner

Yup, I had this same issue and thankfully, this post helped me jumpstart the damn NIC. I'm running ESXi 6.x on a NUC6i5SYH (it has the infamous "Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V) and ended up trying your bandaid. In my case, however, the SD card was already set to read/write. It was the WLAN and bluetooth devices that were disabled. I enabled both of those and BAM it started working. I plan on upgrading to ESXi 6.7 soon, which I hear has an updated driver that might fix this issue for good (I doubt it, tho).

ARomi1
Beginner

@Ronny_Intel​ same issue here with a new NUC8i7BEH

First thing I did when it arrived today was customizing the BIOS settings and I disabled the SD card.

As soon as I installed a Red Hat Virtualization hypervisor on the hardware (Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 7.7 with kernel Linux rhv-rhvh01 3.10.0-1062.9.1.el7.x86_64), I immediately noticed the problem that almost everybody are reporting with the NIC in this thread.

BIOS Version is: 0077-BECFL357.86A.0077.2019.1127.1452 (latest)

I confirm that switching back SD card to read/write on BIOS the NIC went back to regular functioning.

Pleast let me know if I can provide such more details.

Thanks,

Antonio

b0tting
Beginner

I am extremely grateful for finding this message. That saved me from throwing my NUC out as broken.

Issue is reproducible in ESXi 7.0 update 1 with bios 2020.1007.1917 - and solved by reenabling the SD card reader to READ/WRITE in the bios.