Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBos
Beginner

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB only shows as 250gb

I'm on the latest bios, but system does not see the full 1tb. The drive is brand new and label indicates it "should" be 1tb drive. Is this an issue with compatibility? Defective drive? Any help / advice appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

It is very strange. According to my knowledge there only 512GB and 1TB Samsung 970Pro M.2 drive. Using Samsung Magician you may test Samsung drive authenticityhttps://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/ Samsung Magician Software | Samsung V-NAND SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website , however in order to run this software you have to instal O.S. and this drive first.

Can you test this drive in other PC?

I'm attaching few image of Samsung 970Pro 1TB drive.

MBos
Beginner

I just purchased the drive from Amazon and all indications (packaging, drive itself, etc.) it is a 1tb drive. I do not have an easy way to test in another machine and would rather avoid having to install Windows to use the Samsung utility. If push comes to shove I can, but that's a last resort. At this point I'm really just trying to determine if it's a compatibility issue with the NUC or I have a faulty drive? If compatibility I'll get a different drive. If faulty I'll take is up with the vendor.

MBos
Beginner

Bit the bullet and installed Windows on the 4TB drive and Samsung Magician shows it as a authentic drive, but not a 970 Pro. It shows as a 970 EVO 250gb with a completely different serial number. Working with Amazon to get it replaced.

RHild
Novice

When you bought the drive from Amazon, was it marked as being sold directly from Amazon or from a third-party seller, because it sure seems like you got scammed. Hopefully Amazon is taking care of you...

-Robert

MBos
Beginner

I agree, and I'm glad it was direct from Amazon Services and not a 3rd party retailer as clearly "something not right" is going on. Amazon has sent a replacement and it will arrive today.

RHild
Novice

From your picture it doesn't look like the drive was physically tampered with - the copper-embedded label looks pristine. I wonder if someone flashed it with the wrong firmware...

Anyway, glad Amazon is making it right for you.

MBos
Beginner

Just following up to say replacement drive arrived and all is well.