Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11290 Discussions

Samsung 970 evo plus NVME not recognized by NUC8i5BEH (Installing Ubuntu)

kazazo
Novice

Hi everyone,

I lost all hope and therefore reaching out to people in this forum.

I have a brand new NUC8i5BEH device that I just opened.
I also just opened a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME M.2 SSD and connected it to my NUC. I did that by following several videos online (let's face it, supposed to be an easy task..).

My main goal is to run Ubuntu Server 20.4.1 on it. I have a SanDisk USB device on which I have the iso for the ubuntu server OS. The SanDisk USB is recognized by the NUC.

When the Ubuntu installation starts I get the error:
"nvme nvme0: device not ready: aborting initialization"

The Ubuntu installation does start anyway, but when you get to the part of the partitions it stops and says it did not recognize any device to install upon.

So I opened my BIOS to see what's going on over there.
The SanDisk does show up along with some UEFI entries, but the NVME device does not show up at all.

I attached a screenshot showing this list.

After reading some things in the forum, I decided to update my BIOS to the latest version.
I attached a screenshot showing this update, it went well - but still, nothing works.

I have the default BIOS settings (and I added screenshots of all the relevant parts of it), so I'm starting to think maybe it's a hardware issue..? Although everything is brand new from the box.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do here?
Sadly, I do not have another device to try the NVME on there.

Please help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kazazo
Novice

P.S:

I already tried making sure it's connected properly on the motherboard.. 5 times

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, just because something is new doesn't mean it works. For example, there are multiple reports on this site of people who got DOA Samsung M.2 SSDs. It happens.

Secondly, insofar as the boot order display in BIOS is concerned, only those drives that are recognized to be bootable are going to show up. If your drive doesn't have a bootable image on it, it isn't going to show up.

Finally, because you are using a NVMe drive, it is required that you use UEFI Boot. Most Linux distribs try to use Legacy Boot and, if you don't override this, it simply isn't going to work. Remember, UEFI Boot and GPT partition tables.

Hope this helps,

...S

kazazo
Novice

Hi @n_scott_pearson , thank you for your answer!

That's good to know the boot order in the BIOS shouldn't display the NVME device.

Regarding making sure the boot is a UEFI boot, in the screenshot I shared it shows the San Disk bootable under UEFI:
UEFI: USB: SanDisk: Part 1: OS Bootloader

Isn't that saying that it's using UEFI boot?

If not, how should I override it / making sure it's using UEFI boot?

I created the USD bootloader using BalenaEtcher on macOS after downloading the latest LTS version of Ubuntu server.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Yes, choosing the UEFI: entry does cause it to use UEFI Boot, but that's only half the battle. You need to ensure that the installed OS is also set up to utilize UEFI Boot.
...S