cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WWayn1
New Contributor I

The dreaded death-of-video after BIOS update issue again

Jump to solution

Brand new NUC8i7BEH. Boots fine and I go into BIOS play with some settings, reboot, no issues. Download the latest BIOS to update before installing my OS and do it from with BIOS Menu to update. The screen almost immediately dies and after giving it a good 5 minutes I try to boot it. Lights come on and things are happening - booting off my CD-Rom for example, but nothing on the display. Just in case it is a one-in-a-million chance the monitor died at that precise moment in the evolution of computing, I swap it out with another Monitor from my working desktop. Same problem, and other screen works fine at the desktop computer. I try the holding-the-power-button-down trick and nothing happens - light goes blue and briefly flashes orange and then turns off. I try to re-flash the BIOS using the two methods of holding the power button for 3 seconds and the jumper method. Nothing. To all intenst and purposes the unit seems to be booting - churns away at my CD Image, lights do their thing. But the screen remains dead. It is 2019 and the Intel NuC still has the cursed HDMI issues that seem to plague them all. How is it that the people who make all this technology themselves (not a third-party oem) cannot get this right by now?

Anyone have any ideas or do I boot it back to the supplier and NOT DO BIOS UPDATES IN FUTURE????

I am certain the unit is working as for example it goes through the motions of doing a BIOS update from any of the options one can employ - lights flash appropriately. You just never get to see what is happening on the screen. Can it be that the HDMI port was fried in the procedure of updating the BIOS? I have had the HDMI ports die on these NuC's before. Unfortunately I do not have a thunderbolt display to test that port...but i bet it is working just fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WWayn1
New Contributor I

Today I went out and purchased a USB-C to HDMI dongle. I unplugged the HDMI cable form the HDMI port on the NuC and plugged it into the convertor and then the convertor into the USB-C port on the NuC. Powered it on and the display works. I went into the BIOS and determined that the update had been successfull. Despite setting the Graphics to Auto or HDMI first, it refuses to work. I can only conclude that the HDMI port was somehow destroyed in the BIOS update. Very poor for Intel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

"I try to re-flash the BIOS using the two methods of holding the power button for 3 seconds and the jumper method. Nothing. " Can you describe how you did the recovery with Security Jumper removed?

Was USB fully formatted in Windows to FAT32?

Which file did you use for recovery?

Please boot your NUC with the Yellow Security Jumper removed with empty USB slots. The NUC should boot into Configuration Menu.

Please use other HDMI cable.

Please disconnect any HUBs.

Leon

WWayn1
New Contributor I

Thank you for responding.

Let me repeat myself to make it clear. There is no video at all any more after flashing the new BIOS, or at least after attempting to flash it (Since the video died upon initiating the upgrade I do not know if it ever completed). Removing the yellow jumper and booting makes no difference, with the FAT32 formatted stick in or out. It appears to boot and even flash but nothing ever appears on the screen. The monitor shows “No Signal”. And as I said, I swapped the monitor (and HDMI cable) for a known working pair, and put that monitor and HDMI on my desktop – works fine. Besides, it was working seconds before the update started. Here were my steps to perform the initial update:

• Downloaded the “bio” file from the intel website for my model (NUC8i7BEH) and placed it on a 4GB USB memory stick.
  • Entered the BIOS menu and selected the Update Bios option, pointing to the file on the USB stick: BE0056.bio.
  • Almost immediately the screen went off and I saw drive-light activity and power-light activity. Since I could not see what was happening I left it for a long time – more than 5 minutes.
  • Finally I turned it off and on. No image
  • I then swapped the monitor and cable for the one from my working desktop and plugged the monitor and cable into my desktop. It worked fine there. Still no image from the NuC.
  • I then searched the forums and found the methods of recovery, holding the power-button and the jumper trick. I used the same 4GB memory stick, this time formatting it to FAT32 from NTFS.
  • Despite what appears to be BIOS flashing and recovery occurring (Drive and power-light activity) still nothing ever appears on the screen.
  • If I plug my external USB-CD-Rom into the NUC it is definitely booting off it – protracted reading for several minutes.

To summarise: Everything was working perfectly until I attempted the BIOS update. Thereafter video fails to work, even with the Yellow Jumper removed and a known working monitor used.

WWayn1
New Contributor I

Today I went out and purchased a USB-C to HDMI dongle. I unplugged the HDMI cable form the HDMI port on the NuC and plugged it into the convertor and then the convertor into the USB-C port on the NuC. Powered it on and the display works. I went into the BIOS and determined that the update had been successfull. Despite setting the Graphics to Auto or HDMI first, it refuses to work. I can only conclude that the HDMI port was somehow destroyed in the BIOS update. Very poor for Intel

View solution in original post