Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Windows 10 2004 upgrade from 1909 fails and rolles back to 1909 at around 70%

I have tried to upgrade my Intel NUC Hades Canyon NUC8i7HVB from 1909 to 2004 several times, but it always does a rollback at around 70% completion at the second (final?) stage.

The upgrade error log shows at the end only an error during a metrics file merge?!

First attempt was mid of August with subsequent attempts in September.
Windows 10 (Professional) was offering the feature upgrade and found no upgrade issues.
The installation ist just about one year fresh.

The system disk is a Samsung 1TB NVME 970 Evo Plus disk with latest Samsung NVME controller driver.
All unnecessary external devices unplugged. Remaining system disk space is 645GB.

I also created a upgrade media for Windows 10 2004 in September and used this upgrade method.

I spend multiple hours to find any hints and tried to follow every hint.

1.) BIOS and driver are at the latest version as of 11.10.2020 and each attempt was done with latest Intel/AMD driver

2.) All Antivirus apps are deinstalled

3.) Windows and disk-checks done without any errors or malware found.

A fresh install would be an extreme effort I'm trying to avoid, as I have a lot of development env. for microcontroller development configured + other smaller but high effort to get to the current state settings. Windows is certainly installed in 15mins, but then ... many days effort.

I hope somebody has a hint or Intel/Microsoft find the root course of the upgrade problem.
It seem that there is something wrong as the further offer for an upgrade is now no longer offered and it says it's in preparation. I'm wondering if anybody got the upgrade on this NUC8i7HVB from 1909 to 2004 done?

50 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

I'm using the latest and recommended driver (recommended by Intel) for the AMD Radeon RX GPU which is this one:
Radeon™ RX Vega M graphics driver version 20.2.2 is the latest version of the graphics driver that will install on the Intel NUC8i7HNK or NUC8i7HVK

installed shown as:

heinzv_0-1602882769191.png

and the Seagate is just the currrent connect Seagate external USB 3.0 disk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, I was more curious than thinking there was a correlation.

I have worked with a four or five different HV units now (including one built from parts scavenged from other dead units) and have not had *any* issues updating them from 1909 to 2004.

Frankly, you have put a lot of time - too much - into this already. It might be time to bite the bullet and do a from-scratch install of 2004 - or wait a few more weeks and do a from-scratch install of 2009.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Doing a fresh install means that I give up, don't learn anything how to address such problems and spend many days, weeks to get my system to a state where it is.
there must be a way to find the root cause for such kind of problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Then, you should contact Microsoft for help in debugging their OS setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Today I have installed 7 new drivers (Intel drive assistant offered it) and I also created a Windows 10 20H2 (2009) install/update USB stick with latest updates.

I unplugged everting beside monitor, mouse/keyboard und strated again the inplace upgrade.

It fails again at 75% und rolled back all changes to 1909.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Two comments:

1. What did Microsoft say about this issue?
  2. When are you going to do the right thing - which is reinstall Windows 10?

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

two comments from my side

1.) how to contact Microsoft - (a proper contact for such a case), at least I auto.transmitted the problem with description the first time it fails?

2.) This would be a nightmare, the last time it took me week to get the system to the same state (you can't imagine much effort it would take to get my development machine to the same state). So I rather prefer to find out what is really the root cause (I guess it's a small thing) which rolles back the installation at the very end. This is not an exotic HW (my opinion at least).

heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Seriously? Start in the Microsoft Communities like everybody else.
...S
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @heinzv 

Some ideas for you:

1. In order to protect your installation, you should keep full backup image of your drive. Hope that you have one.

2. Please describe or attach an image showing the Activation Status of your Windows. You will find it in Windows Settings Update & Security > Activation.

3. Can you try to upgrade your Windows after uninstalling the VMware Virtual Machine Software?

4. To verify that is nothing wrong with your hardware,  try clean Windows installation. Later you may restore your drive from the backup.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

here my feedback to your suggestions:

1.) yes, I always do a fresh full disk image backup before a system update

2.) heer my attached activation state

Windows-10-20H2-Update-Error.jpg

 3.) I have deinstalled the latest VMware version (16) rebooted and did another (around 8th attempt) reinstall of Windows 10 20H2 (2009). It always fails at excatly 75% in the second/final reboot with 0xC1900101 - 0x40017.
setuperr.log shows:
020-10-25 14:35:51, Error SP Failed to merge telemetry file: . hr = 0X80070057
2020-10-25 14:35:51, Error Failed to delete tracing files: D:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\WinRETel.etl.001: Win32Exception: \\?\D:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\WinRETel.etl.001: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. [0x00000020] void __cdecl UnBCL::File::DeleteInternal(const class UnBCL::String *)[gle=0x00000020]
2020-10-25 14:36:37, Error [0x064183] IBSLIB OSRollbackService::CCheckpoint::MoveOrCopyDirectory: ObliterateOrMoveDirectoryTree(D:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther) failed.[gle=0x00000005]
2020-10-25 14:37:48, Error SP Failed to merge telemetry file: D:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\RbTel.etl. hr = 0X80070057
2020-10-25 14:39:18, Error SP Failed to merge telemetry file: . hr = 0X80070057

4.) I'll order another Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus in about 5weeks and will do a fresh install (just for testing initially as it would take very long to restore all SW and settings). However, I'm pretty shure that that will work.

BTW: Do a fresh install would mean:
- we don't understand the problem, we don't have an answer, we don't know how to analyse and find such problems and we give up and don't learn anything

Heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

wrong screenshot, here is the activation:

Win10-activation-state.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

@heinzv 

"BTW: Do a fresh install would mean:
- we don't understand the problem, we don't have an answer, we don't know how to analyse and find such problems and we give up and don't learn anything"

Perhaps.  But this is a technical support forum for Intel products.  You have an OS problem as far as can be determined.  It may be hardware related, but we have gone as far as we can.  To determine what the problem is, Microsoft can help you analyse the updating of their OS.  You are stuck on demanding that we, on the Intel forum, do this for you.  Perhaps you are insisting on this because we are responding to you, and you suspect Microsoft will not.  Nonetheless, Microsoft provides Windows support, not Intel.

You can learn from this.  What you will learn is that there is some obscure reason for the OS install to fail repeatedly as it does, and a fresh install will take you 30 minutes (or less).  Demanding that you "learn" why the install is failing is not important at this point.  Getting to 2004, or even 20H2, is your goal, and you can try this step with a fresh install.  If you backup what you have, and a 2004/20H2 fresh install succeeds, then you will have learned that it is not the hardware that is the problem, and that it is your existing install and Microsoft's upgrade process.  You then restore your backup, and contact Microsoft support and have them educate you on their OS upgrade problems. 

You want to learn?  You learn by eliminating possible problems.  If a 2004/20H2 fresh install succeeds, you will have learned something.  And, you just might be happy that you have succeeded in being current, and decide to no longer waste your time chasing an answer that Microsoft cannot help with anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, I have access to 3  NUC8i7HVK.  I know you have NUC8i7HVB, but my 3 NUC8i7HVK all updated successfully, as they always do.

And, "I have a lot of development env. for microcontroller development configured + other smaller but high effort to get to the current state settings."   To me, this says you have some custom settings or had some custom equipment installed that is confusing WINDOWS.  You may have created your own problem and you want someone else to fix it for you.

"I hope somebody has a hint or Intel/Microsoft find the root course of the upgrade problem."   But, you are not trying to get help from Microsoft. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi everybody,

thanks for your support so far. I'll not bother you anymore.

BTW: I have contacted MS support via the support forum and using the troubleshooting/feedfack form, but did not get any response so far.

Heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @heinzv 

I don't want to bother you any more either. But I was expecting other image showing the Activation Status:

Activation.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

ok, here is the other activation screen, it tells less but says also that Windows 10 pro is activated.

Of course in German as I'm in Austria.

BTW: The Windows re-installation itself is not the problem/effort (as explained before) but the effort comes afterwards (I guess it would take me a month to get all back installed/set-up. I have at lest 40+ development tools + Video/Audio processing, Office etc. ect.

heinzv_0-1603649215732.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @heinzv 

I didn't suggest you to reinstall your applications. I suggested the clean Windows installation to ensure that there is no hardware problem. Only you can debug your NUC. But first you need to be sure that there is no hardware problem. Once you did this, restore back you drive and start debugging. For example you may try to upgrade Windows to version 20H2 after performing Clean Boot and see how it goes.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2 (2009) on another (new) NVMe SSD (same Samsung 970 Evo Plus) and it worked of course. That is what I have expected.

The Windows installation takes 10-15mins but then I spend another 8 hours for the other core SW and it would take me another week(s) to get it back to the same state So I switched back to the old SSD.

I did an upgrade of an Intel NUC i7 (Skull Canyon) with nearly the same SW on it and it worked also, but the upgrade of the Hades Canyon does not work.

I hope somebody has another hint for the upgrade/rollback problem or Microsoft detect and fix such errors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Disable your USB thunderbolt in the BIOS and then try the update,. I have actual give up on the Hades Canyon and did a full new build not long ago got jack of the lack of Intel support Guys in the forums are quite helpful as for Intel well any one who dumps GPU support for a Flag ship item after 12 months is just a not worth if company.

I now have the Following

Mother Board MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI AM4 Micro-ATX Motherboard
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Socket AM4 3.8GHz CPU Processor
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (4x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory
GPU Radeon RX 5700 Has been flashed with the Radeon 5700 XT Bios
Boot Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB SATA
Storage drive WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2
Game Drive Pioneer 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Gen 3x4
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION D.F Series 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo CPU Cooler - White Edition

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@Alan_J_T Thanks for the Thunderbold hint. Any evidence that this would impach tthe upgrade? As posted, the fresh install works fine!

I do agree an the CPU/GPU support! Buying the expensive gflag-ship and after 12month, there is no more driver upgrades for the new Windows 10 2004+ driver model is a shame.

Intel can't blame it alone on AMD as the CPU/GPU is an Intel silicon, so they have to clarify it with AMD asap. Now 6-8 month later knwoing that and after promising to get back the support, there is no update and no solution. So I lost trust and will also consider to build a new HW package and use rather a Nvidia GPU.

0 Kudos