Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

3D Xpoint function support

DHuan29
Novice

I wonder if 3d Xpoint supports the following functions.

1. self-detecting. it can check there is any error happened with a system, like DPA Failure, Internal Buffer Failure, and AIT Failure.

2. self-test. it can check CAP status, like CAP Self-Test warning/fails.

these 2 functions help our customers check NVDIMM health status.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Derek,

In that case, I think there is a confusion about the 3D XPoint technology.

As I mentioned, NVDIMM is a technology for RAM memories, however the devices based on 3D XPoint technology are not RAM memories, therefore the usage is not the same.

Having said this, it would be better to understand which specific product your customer is using because if they are using an Intel® Optane™ Memory, then it should be used to accelerate a SATA drive in the system which is not related to the RAM memory at all nor to the NVDIMM technology.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi DHuan29,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The NVDIMM is a technology related to RAM memories. The Intel® Optane™ Memory is not a RAM memory, but a module that pairs with your SATA drive to accelerate the PC’s accesses to non-volatile data.

Having said this, the Intel® Optane™ Memory doesn’t include the features that other NVDIMM memories have.

However, after further investigating on your question, I have found some online articles like this one: https://segmentnext.com/2018/05/18/intel-3d-xpoint-nvdimm/ where there are discussions about something called: “Intel 3D XPoint NVDIMM”. This is something I’m not aware of, and there are no other details that I can provide to you besides sharing the online article, but apparently this module may include what you are asking for. You would have to wait if in the incoming months, a new product or new technology is indeed announced.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel
Hi DHuan29, I’m wondering if there is anything else I can help you with. Regards, Diego V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Diego,

thank you for sharing information.

according to that article, it doesn't mention these 2 functions.

Will 3D Xpoint supports these 2 functions?

if not, I need to tell our customers.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Diego,

I found AEP supports these requirements.

in the Apache Pass Firmware Interface Spec. Version 1.7, there is the SMART and Health Info command.

the 8th byte(Health Status) includes this information.

-----the contest of Health Status--------

Fatal (data loss has occurred or is imminent)

• Critical internal state failure (DPA Failure, Internal Buffer Failure, AIT Failure, etc)

non-recoverable and data loss

• CAP Self-Test fails (check if the internal capacitors provide enough charge to properly

shutdown at a power loss)

------------------------------------------------

so, 3D Xpoint should support them, right?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Derek,

The article I shared with you before is just an online article (non-official) that discusses the topic around this device named in the article as “Intel 3D XPoint NVDIMM”, but it doesn’t mean that I have additional information about that. I just shared it with you as it might include interested information about a possibility of a new product that includes the NVDIMM technology.

Based on the information I mentioned before, the NVDIMM is a technology related to RAM memories and the Intel® Optane™ Memory is not a RAM memory, so it doesn’t include the features that other NVDIMM memories have.

However, please let me investigate about this to check if I can find additional information about the specific support of the self-detecting and self-test features.

I will post my findings as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Derek,

I would like to know which specific product you are using. Is it the Intel® Optane™ Memory?

I just want to better understand what the use of the device will be and which specific product is.

I will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Diego,

so far, our customer is in an evaluation stage. we are not sure which product they use.

they would like their system to involve 3D Xpoint and NVDIMM.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Derek,

In that case, I think there is a confusion about the 3D XPoint technology.

As I mentioned, NVDIMM is a technology for RAM memories, however the devices based on 3D XPoint technology are not RAM memories, therefore the usage is not the same.

Having said this, it would be better to understand which specific product your customer is using because if they are using an Intel® Optane™ Memory, then it should be used to accelerate a SATA drive in the system which is not related to the RAM memory at all nor to the NVDIMM technology.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos