I have a PC based on ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard with Intel Core i5-8400 CPU and Two storages: 120G WD M.2 SSD disc and WD Green 2TB HDD disc. I'm very interested in Intel Optane memory modules and before I buy it I want to know: can I accelerate my secondary (HDD) drive with Optane module, if it's just a file storage not a system disc?
Thanks for your interest in our products.
It is possible to accelerate a secondary/data drive using Intel® Optane™ memory. From the information provided, we can see your system already meets some of the requirements for secondary drive acceleration. However, please check the following article to find the full requirements and confirm if your system supports it:
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory
I hope this information will be useful for you. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.
it works! i also have a z370-a with 1x 256 GB SSD and 1x 1TB SATA (Seagate). To optimize the secondary drive i only needed to convert it to gpt-format
Method 1. Convert MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR with Command Prompt by no data loss
1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog > Type: cmd and hit Enter to bring up Command Prompt;
2. Type: diskpart.exe and hit Enter to open DiskPart window;
3. Type: list disk and hit Enter;
4. Type: select disk g (Replace g with the drive letter or your disk that you want to change it to MBR or GPT;)
5. Type: convert mbr or convert gpt and hit Enter;
Let the program to do the disk conversion task and then there you'll get wanted partition table in your disk.
6. Type: exit to finish the task.
You can use the converted disk for saving data and install new programs or software so to meet your needs now.
Thanks for sharing the steps to convert a secondary/data drive from partition style from MBR to GPT without losing data. This will be useful for other users interest in enabling Intel Optane Memory acceleration on their systems.