Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can I use older Optane Module with my new Z390 chipset MB?

Pbedrosi
Beginner

Hello,

I'm building a new PC with latest Z390 chipset. I have support for 2 M2-M slots. 1st slot will have nVME 512gb SSD (WD Black) as the main drive with OS. 2nd slot I would like to install Optane memory to accelerate the 2TB 3.5" 7,200RPMHDD for data and games.

Up this point my setup plans seem straightforward based on my search here.

The info I'm lacking is Optane memory module generations and compatibility. Reason is that for "gaming" the 32GB module is recommended, I believe the new M10 gen? However, there is big difference in cost between 16GB and 32GB capacities (x5 in most cases). So I have turned to used 32GB modules, some appear to be take-off's from HP systems.

The part number for what I assume is the older module I'm considering is MEMPEK1W032GAH. The new module ends with GAXT (M10?)

1. Will this older 32GB module work with my new Z390 MB? both from compatibility and performance perspective.
  2. If no to #1, will the new 16GB capacity still provide noticeable performance gains?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do your motherboard and processor support optane?

Provide both model numbers, and your version of W10 (1909?).

Doc

0 Kudos
Pbedrosi
Beginner

Hi Doc,

The motherboard is by Asus, Z390-A prime and it does support Optane memory...from the marketing material:

"Next-gen connectivity: Supreme flexibility with Intel Optane memory ready, Intel® RST support, Thunderbolt 3 header and dual M.2 support"

Attached is the used Optane memory label image.

s-l1600.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, but what about your processor? Provide the model number.

And, are you using windows 10, 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
Pbedrosi
Beginner

From the manual. Highlighted differences between both sockets.

M2 socket 1 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe and SATA storage devices

M2 Socket 2 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280/22110 PCIe storage devices

0 Kudos
Pbedrosi
Beginner

CPU is Core i5 9400F (9th gen)

Have not installed windows yet, but will be Windows 10 64bit - whatever version is latest on Microsoft site

On Asus site, they did note improved Intel H10 Optane memory compatibility.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Advantages of the 32GB Optane (as opposed to the 16GB):

1. Bigger cache, holds more files, so better performance (eventually).
  2. Support for Folder Caching, which allows all files in a folder (and any subfolders) to be cached. Good for accelerating a game's performance if installed on the HDD instead of the SSD.

I said 'eventually', because files have to be read (or written) into the cache before subsequent read benefit can occur.

I personally do not believe that Optane modules will do that much to accelerate the performance of a HDD that is used, for example, to store pictures/music/video files, where accesses are few and far between.

...S

0 Kudos
Pbedrosi
Beginner

Scott, thank you. Also agree no point for pics and documents, but I failed to mention the Steam game saves will be on this large drive. I think it should help.

Doc, thanks for the answer. Based on my processors info page "Optane memory supported" without exception notes I take this as older gen Optane module will work as long at it physically fits my MB M2 slot.

Many thanks again to both.

0 Kudos