Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can't fully enable Intel Optane with either the RST Interface nor with Intel Optane software

APenn
Beginner

@After several hours of attempts I though it would be good to make a post regarding my problem with Intel Optane 32GB module.

I've tried using the standalone Intel Optane Memory software with any Intel RST software already uninstalled, and during the process after initial reboot at Step 2 of 2 I'm always getting stuck at 29% and then the system freezes at 29% whilst enabling Intel Optane.

Then I've also tried the Intel RST Software latest version from the Intel Website and clicked to enable Intel Optane and in the RST on the Status tab and Intel Optane tab it gets stuck and the system is frozen at 64%

Specs:

Asus H270F ROG Strix MOBO with latest 0607 BIOS (Optane compatible)

Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB with Samsung Rapid Mode disabled and Samsung Magician uninstalled

WD 3TB Internal HDD

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2 x 8GB 3000Mhz RAM using a Bios XMP profile for 2400Mhz

Asus Strix GTX970 with WDDM 2.2 and DirectX 12.1, 12.0, 11.1, etc.

I have attached some logs found in c:/user/Intel/logs

Also, when I have rebooted after forcing a power shutdown in both software instances....

Intel Optane shows as an Optane + SSD drive in task manager but it also crashed crashes (Intel Optane is not fully enabled), IRST still shows and is frozen at 64% enabled

Please help

Thanks in Advance,

Alf in Australia

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

Thank you for posting in our communities, we would like to assist you with this situation.

Checking the logs we do not see any errors during installation or setup; however, we would like to check this situation deeper with our engineering department.

In the meantime, could you please check /thread/114374 this thread? (It comes with a good explanation about the setup of Intel® Optane™ Memory)

Thanks for the logs and the computer's specs.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

We would like you to please share with us the following:

Could you also please clarify to us:

• Is the failure happening after you press enable in the application and after the system reboots and it shows the step 2 of the process? (In the black screen)
  • Is it in the application still on step 2? (Before the reboot from the application)
  • Is the whole system freezing up or just the application?
  • Is this a fresh installation of the operating system?

Please let us know as soon as you can, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

We'd like to know if you were able to read our previous posts and if you require assistance. Please share with us the logs requested in case you still need our assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

I eventually did manage to get Intel Optane functioning with the Intel Optane Memory software, but because of the massive number of installed programs and the fact I was using Samsung Magician for my SSD which was not uninstalled nor was Rapid Cache disabled - something in the system kept crashing (blue screen with error code) during restarts and freezing the pc.

To rectify this I chose a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit creators edition ISO, installed a handful of programs and then installed successfully and enabled the Intel Optane Memory software and it is working on my system now.

I can say though, on random occasions instead of seeing the UI when I open the taskbar icon (double click) it can A) fail to load until a second attempt or B) Present an error dialogue that repeats itself multiple times per second down my screen in ladder form.

One more thing to add, It changed my boot disk numbers so my secondary HDD is now Disk 0 instead of Disk 1 and the C drive which was Disk 0 is now Disk 1, what's the deal with this issue without notifying us in the FAQS?

Before I go, how will Intel and Microsoft collaborate so that Redstone 2 due in August/September will not destroy our Unallocated space on the C drive with another Recovery partition, making the system upgrade seriously unstable/unworkable??

Hope this helps,

thanks again

Alf

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

Thanks for your inputs and the reply.

We would like to research your questions and provide you with a response. We are trying to replicate the label situation here and we'll be engaging additional resources to get back to you.

We'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

We have been trying to replicate your situation and so far we have been able to see the same situation with the disks labels.

This situation is been worked with our proper department; However, for the other situations, everything is been running fine.

Do you have any error message or screenshot of the error message when you double-click the taskbar icon? If so, please share it with us.

We'll keep you posted with any updates on the disk label situation.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Thanks Nestor,

Here is the common issue for me when attempting to access the Intel Optane Memory software interface by double clicking the Intel Optane icon in the taskbar:

I currently only have one screenshot - however every time it occurs this is this result.... see attached screenshot

My current only solution is to restart my pc and ensure I can access the Intel Optane Memory UI after reboot so that the issue doesn't inhibit my pc session, e.g. it's functioning properly

Cheers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

Thanks for the error message screenshot. If you happen to have another one please post it.

We will be checking for the other situation, please stand by for our updates.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BigBrother,

Could you please share with us the latest logs from Intel Logs? (C:\Users\yourusername\Intel\Logs)

We are still checking this situation, but we will need those "updated" logs so we can have better address your issue.

In the meantime, could you please let us know if this is also happening with the Intel® RST?

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Sure...

Thanks again

0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Part two.... cheers

0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Part 3, last log in that folder....

Regarding Intel RST: I've installed the Intel Optane Memory application after clean installing Windows again from scratch, because the RST software wasn't successful when trying to enable Optane...

so I couldn't provide any info regarding functionality of the Intel RST application which can also enable/disable Intel Optane Memory

I have the latest Intel RST driver Version 15.5.0.1051 showing in the Optane application UI, also Intel Optane Firware updated to version 310, plus these issues have continued since the original release v300 firmware.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

Thanks for all the logs. We are sure this will help us a lot.

Now, could you please let us know if this is also happening with the Intel® RST?

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Regarding Intel RST: I've installed the Intel Optane Memory application after clean installing Windows again from scratch, because the RST software wasn't successful when trying to enable Optane...

so I couldn't provide any info regarding functionality of the Intel RST application which can also enable/disable Intel Optane Memory

I have the latest Intel RST driver Version 15.5.0.1051 showing in the Optane application UI, also Intel Optane Firware updated to version 310, plus these issues have continued since the original release v300 firmware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

Thanks for replying back.

Just to clarify something with you, the latest version of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) is 15.7.0.1014https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26865/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- Here is the link in case you would like to uninstall and re-install the latest one.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
APenn
Beginner

Thanks Nestor,

I was able to successfully disable Optane Memory (Deconcatenate I think its called in the Bios)

I then chose to install the latest Intel RST (full bodied software UI) version 15.7.0.1014 after uninstalling the Optane Memory software UI

After reboot I was also able to enable the Optane Memory completely and rebooted.

No noticeable glitches yet, even after several reboots, no failures since enabling/activating the Optane Memory using the latest Intel RST drivers. If I have any problems I'll be sure to post an update....

One thing I was wondering, with this Intel RST software / User interface, when does the Optane Memory conduct optimization? Is it during idle times, or done at a set time everyday?

Looking forward to your response...

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BigBrother,

Thanks for trying the latest installation and confirming it is working as expected.

About your question, Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology will conduct the optimization automatically, as it learns your computing behaviors to accelerate frequently used applications.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos