Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Clone HDD+Optane to HDD+Optane

FSilv15
Beginner

Hello guys,

I recently tried to disable Optane memory using Optane memory management software. During processing the Windows 10 chashed, blue screen, reboot. System boot no longer found. I enter the setup and remove the concatenation of Optane with the disk (MB GA-H270M-GAMING 3), restart and partitions no longer exist, I lost all my data, many data.

So I bought a new HD and would like to clone the old (now with everything reinstalled and Optane active) to the new HD with greater capacity. What steps should I take?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi Franklin,

I'm sorry for the data you lost due to the issue during the disabling process.

Regarding to the cloning part, there are no specific steps that I can provide you because the process of restoring a backed up system that was accelerated with Intel® Optane™ memory to a new system that is also accelerated with an Intel® Optane™ memory has not been tested nor validated.

Please check this thread where a similar topic has been discussed:

The main topic in that thread is about restoring a backup image of a system that was previously configured to be accelerated with the Intel® Optane™ memory to a new HDD without the Intel® Optane™ memory. This process has not been tested according to the thread, and the recommendation is to disable first the Intel® Optane™ memory and then, create the backup image of the single HDD.

The reason of doing this process in that way is because the Intel® Optane™ memory keeps the Windows* booting files in order to increase the system performance. So, when restoring that backup image into a new drive, those files may not be in the backup image and the restoring process may not work.

However, your scenario is different because your new system also includes another Intel® Optane™ memory -or at least that's what I understood from the thread title-. Unfortunately, this scenario is not supported either as it has not been tested nor validated, but considering the information from the thread above, the backup process should be done in the same way as it's usually done with single HDDs. If the new system includes also a HDD accelerated with the Intel® Optane™ memory, then it may be possible to restore the same environment, but I cannot guarantee that it will work. This is just a hypothesis, so it may not work, especially because the booting files located in each Intel® Optane™ memory are not exactly the same ones as both systems are different, and what you are restoring is the data in the HDD, not the data in the Intel® Optane® memory.

It's up to you if you want to try to restore the system under these conditions. Just one detail, if you are using the same Intel® Optane™ memory with the new HDD, make sure you indeed de-concatenated it because it will not work properly with the new drive as it will keep the metadata from the other drive.

I hope this information helps you. If there is anything else I can help you with or something else you would like to know, please feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos